IPEX(Plumbbetter)

Brandon:
You are a generalist, not a qualified plumber, electrician, or whatever(unless you are) the plumber, electrician etc. are the specifically trained experts. Be sure to tell the RA to rub salt! (could other two words here).
I would never, never argue or dispute what a trained, qualified tradesman said about anything.
You did your job by alerting your client to a potential problem and ASKING for an expert OPINION.

Cheers

Doug,

Your comments are somewhat confusing. Would you let your client suffer if you knew the plumber or the electrician that you deferred to threw you under the bus by claiming there is nothing wrong when you clearly know there is? Please do help us understand :slight_smile:

1 Like

While we do defer to experts, not every tradesperson, whether licensed or considered qualified, is an actual expert. We do not do our clients a good service when we know that the tradesperson has said or done something wrong. So, we definitely argue or dispute with a trained, qualified tradesperson when we know they are wrong and care to protect our client, not to mention our reputation and arguably, our legal position should the argument find its way into a legal dispute.
I have been in many of these arguments with licensed tradespersons. I hate these arguments for the time they consume, but take great satisfaction in protecting the interests of my clients, and occasionally satisfaction in rubbing some smug jerk’s face in his own excrement.

1 Like

I also spoke with IPEX and they explained that not all of the brands listed in the class action lawsuit are KITEC. He explained that during the negotiation phase of the settlement IPEX’s representative (now CEO) suggested including all residential supply plumbing products they produced during the given time period. This was done as a goodwill gesture because they had decided to leave the residential plumbing market. He said that products like PumbBetter have no higher failure rate then any of the similar competitive products. I’ve requested that they make a formal statement on this matter.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

Would not trust them, why did it take a class action suit to get them to pull their crap off the market and reimburse customers who suffered a loss?

Either way, just report on it with all brand names listed.

I’ve seen my fair share of Kitec failures. But I’ve never seen a PlumbBetter pipe or fitting failure. My experience is that his story could be true. Although my sample size is reasonably small. Even looking at it logically. The Kitec products are a completely different design from PlumbBetter. I would like to see if they will formalize what I was told in an written response or press release.

nobody is saying that, what we are saying is that the brand of pipe was involved in a lawsuit and may fail prematurely, causing water damage. Even if you get something in writing from them… and use it as your defense not to call it out (knowingly) or mention that it was recalled/involved in a class action lawsuit, should there be a problem with the pipe down the road guess what? so, like I said, I would not rely on what the company that screwed up so badly tells me. I would need to see third party source confirming it’s a perfectly good product for long-term plumbing use. Let us know when you get that in writing :slight_smile:

Simon and Lon:
I completely understand your comments. No I would not like it if someone who did not know what they were talking about and their incompetence was obvious. Having said that, trades people in Ontario, and in most, if not all of Canada, must go through an extensive apprenticeship. Most take about 4 years.
As I said I considered myself a generalist. Know a bit about a lot of stuff but not a lot about anything.
I also understand that many inspectors are qualified experts in some other trade or occupation.

Cheers

1 Like