Is fastening boards to trusses a defect?

Is fastening boards to trusses in an attic a defect?
Is it considered to be modification of the truss and in need of evaluation by a qualified structural engineer?

My question would be “WHY” were the boards attached? What is missing/damaged/substandard?
Did you see anything that may answer the ‘why’ question?
Whatever the reason may not be visible like a ‘glued’ cracked web board or even underneath the insulation.
I am inclined to refer it as a CYA.

2 Likes

I did not see anything that would answer the “why” question. I was unable to walk or crawl most of the attic space due to the lack of a visible walking surface. I am also inclined to refer it as a CYA.

In a different part of the attic, one truss had some damage to it.
sYsBT0_052

1 Like

You may also suggest the client circle back around to the homeowner who may have more information including “approved” repair documentation.

2 Likes

The builder may have fastened the 2x to the truss during the assembly process to help prevent damage to the truss when using a shingle point of lift. And the little toothpick nick I see on the truss is not a problem.
images (21)

5 Likes

It does make sense for the attached boards to be placed there as a means of preventing damage to the truss during their initial placement with a crane. Thank you, @sbridges2

2 Likes

That’s a good one to remember for signs of a repair. I just put that one in my list of pre-written comments. Thanks, @bcawhern1 !

2 Likes