Is it profitable to do your own sewer scope inspections

Hello all,

I’m looking into getting trained and offering sewer scope inspections as an ancillary service. For those of you who got the training and started offering this service, what did you put out for your initial investment in training and equipment? Secondly, what was your ROI? I know that this is largely due to the demand for the service in your area and your marketing plans used to get the word out there. Just looking for some kind of feedback from people who have incorporated this service into their toolbox. I appreciate all your input.

Thank you,
Aaron

Aaron you can purchase a scope camera with monitor and recorder for under $600. It should be paid off within a few jobs. It should take you less than an hour and charge $200. If you inspect slabs that have HVAC ducts underground this camera comes in pretty handy for that too.

Sewer Camera,165ft Plumbing Drain Camera with DVR 50M Cable Industrial Endoscope Waterproof IP68 Cable Snake Video System with 7 Inch LCD Monitor 1000TVL Sony CCD DVR Recorder (50M-DVR) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T7GDP42/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_BF0D9WNFBDFMAF2E34C7?psc=1

2 Likes

I sub my sewer scopes out. I do on average 2 to 3 a week. The Plumber I sub out to has a scope of 200 ft of which he’s needed that length more than a few times.

We’ve had inspections where the cleanout couldn’t be found so we either had to pull a toilet to run the scope from there (with homeowner’s permission), or from a vent stack on the roof (preferable a flat roof).

We’ve also run into instances where the cleanout plug had to be cut out with a torch to do the scope. Of course the plug is always replaced with a new one in these instances.

Although most go pretty smooth, you never what situations may arise until you get onsite and get started with the scope.

I have given considerable thought to doing these on my own, but the more I do and see what kind of situations can arise, the more I decide against it.

I do enough scopes that I could pay for a top of the line $12K Rigid Seesnake in a year, I just don’t really want to deal with all of the potential headaches that can go along with them.

7 Likes

Yes.

It takes a while for agents to know you offer it too, but around 40% of single-family home inspections order a sewer scope.

I would do the same as Kevin.

2 Likes

I do do the same as Kevin. And my guys run in to the exact same problems he noted. I don’t have time to pull toilets or trying to open a clean-out at 75 year old cast iron pipe.
About 50% of my clients order a sewer scope. About 10% order septic inspections, I sub out those too.

3 Likes

I don’t know how you use these. I tried one and the thing wouldn’t go more than 20 feet down the pipe. It was ABS to PVC. I returned it.

Thank you, Martin. I appreciate the input.

1 Like

Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate it.

Thank you, Ian. I appreciate it.

Thank you, Larry. I appreciate it.

Thank you, Christopher. I thank you for the input.

My husband is at an inspection and the realtor called me pissed that he is pulling a toilet for the sewer scope. He only pulls a toilet as a last resort. The realtor said it will mess up the whole real estate transaction? Does any one have any idea why he said that?

Yep, I do the same.

2 Likes

Maybe the agent knows something that is not being disclosed.

But, probably he is just afraid of the unusual…(see above bolded^^^)

After explaining that that was his only route, just do the best job possible and leave it at that.

2 Likes

Maybe the seller is so upset someone is messing with their throne, they are threatening to call off the whole deal? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Did your husband get permission from the seller to pull the toilet before he attempted to?

3 Likes

I’m guessing you mean the LA and not the SA said that? As long as everything is put back and not leaking he should be okay, but lesson learned, next time call the LA to let them know and get approval.

Why they said it would mess up the transaction is something you would have to ask them.

If my Plumber needs to pull a toilet I always get approval from the LA, because they represent the seller, or if home, the home owner.

1 Like

Kevin, it was the selling agent representing the buyer.

And I will ask my husband whose permission he got, he’s inspecting right now.

Cheap cameras don’t hold up being sent down old beat up cast iron and concrete pipes. The company we sub through has Rigid cameras and the entire set with a locator is around 7K I believe. We do have a less expensive Scout brand camera that was around 2K and we’ve started doing some of the newer ABS or PVC lines (typically houses built in the 70s or newer) and it’s going well. We get $125/scope with an inspection and it can be quite a money maker. Newer lines are also easier since there are more likely to have easy to find and open cleanouts. I’ve watched the techs fight to find and access old lines for more hours than I can count.

Along with any technical training be sure to learn what is standard in your area. For example the city of Portland, OR is aggressively against party lines in older house (two houses attached to one line before the main) and some scopers have been stung for not identifying that. In that example you need to learn to ID it or disclaim it in the contract or report. Different areas could have all kinds of different conditions and usual practices. I’ve never taken the InterNACHI training and am not sure if they address that but definitely learn your area so you can stay out of trouble. You probably also want to disclaim lines running across other properties unless you’re a surveyor :slight_smile: Most of these problems go away with newer lines and I’d probably stick to that… especially when you start.

1 Like