Is my age an issue?

I am 21 years old, about to take the TREC exam, wondering if my age will be a concern to some clients? I have thought about this before in the past but as I am getting closer to being licensed, it’s beginning to worry me a little more.

Thanks for any input,
Matt

I am 24 and I don’t believe my age has had any affect on my business. YMMV

I could be 25. It’s my wife’s job to remember these things. Ha

Yes we get to old

and obese…;-):stuck_out_tongue:

I though TREC required so many years in the biz/experience? How do you qualify at 21 y/o?

Hey! lololol was that directed at me?

He took John’s course. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have 5 years experience, and I will do the 120 hours inspecting with a sponsor just for the experience and guidance.

For some it will be a concern, for others it will be an advantage. Like female inspectors, at the end of the day, it’s the quality of your work, customer service and relationship building that will determine your success, assuming you have a good business plan and marketing strategy…

Most of the folks who hire you will never see you until the time of the inspection. If you are concerned that people will equate your age to inexperience, don’t make your age apparent in your marketing.

How big an area are you planning to service? Do you plan to work the Houston suburbs?

If you don’t make it an issue it should not be one. Never apologize for your age. If you are confident and assuming you have been getting the necessary training to do this job, it will come across. Don’t bring your age up, but if it does, be prepared to calm any concerns the customer might have. Just don’t wear superman Tshirt to the inspection and be professional and you will be fine.

Besides, your brain is probably still working most of the time. some of the old farts here are lucky to find their trucks in the driveway.:wink:

That makes total sense.
I am hoping to work with a sponsor in the woodlands area at first. Depending on how that goes I may stick around there or come back around Brenham.

Please feel free to send me some Blue Bell ice cream from the Little Creamery in Brenham.

You might want to give me a call.

They might think you are a little GREEN :smiley:

Congrats on figuring out a viable career path so early in life. I wonder who InterNACHI’s oldest and youngest inspectors are?

Also some may think you are not experienced with any of the old school issues you will run into like K&T wiring, lead pipes, polybutylene, lead paint, aluminum wiring, asbestos type materials just to name a few.

Jim

If you drive a big truck you don’t have any trouble finding it.

yes it will

Of course not! It was mentioned another, thread something about a pest contractor not going into the crawl because he was obese:p…

are you planning to take it on part time or jump right in full time?