is there any way to test footing drains after the backfill?

Originally Posted By: ddivito
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I recently inspected a house, built this year with a concrete block walk-in crawlspace. Bottom of framing height is 5 feet at the lowest point. Along the bottom course of block on the front wall there are signs of water saturating the block. The county inspection records indicate that footing drains were installed at the time of their foundation inspection.

The client and her agent want to know is there was a way to test these drains to see if they are functional (hadn't become broken or clogged during the back fill process).

Any ideas?

Pictures of the crawlspace interior will follow when I get to the computer with the pictures.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

I am not aware of an accepted method of testing existing exterior foundation drain pipes (not interior french underdrain pipes).

However, my personal opinion is that these exterior drains are much less important than good foundation construction, and adequate roof/site grading and drainage.

Also consider that there are really two types of basements ... those that leak, and those that will leak ... ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

JMO and 2-nickles ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

There are companies that inspect foundation drains with a video camera if there is an access point such as a sump pump pit.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif If the perimeter drainage is on a fairly old dwelling, chances are it is connected to the sewer line if in an Urban area. This type of perimeter drain, can be checked by letting water pour against the foundation for half hour or so, and assuming that granular soils were used for backfill, you should hear the water flow in the sewer via the floor drain in the basement if there is one. If no basement, food coloring or water dye could be used and see if it reaches the catch basin or sewer basin down the street. If not connected to the City, it probably exits to a positive out-fall somewhere.

If out in a Rural area, chances are it exits at a positive out fall.

Difficulty is assumed, due the possibility of the under drain having been installed in 1/2"stone. The water will loose itself in the stone before it exists the outfall. A great amount of water would have to be introduced for this test to prove out.

Block work in a crawl space with high moisture content could cause the block work to indicate wetness or improper drainage, but also indicate that it is wicking up the moisture available from that crawlspace.

Newer homes would have cleanouts or surface risers on their perimeter drains to pick-up gutters. The exit of perimeter drains would be of the most valuable importance to find the problem area.

Hope this helps.

Marcel

mcyr wrote:
This type of perimeter drain can be checked by letting water pour against the foundation for half hour or so ...

Hmmmm ... and if it isn't working, and water starts penetrating the foundation and possibly causes more damage?

Many foundations/basements around my neck of the woods are constructed without foundation/footing drains if there are at least decent soil conditions (IRC R405.1 Exception) because these drains can wick water towards the foundation and generally don't have good long term performance.

JMO and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

When I lived in texas, we did inspections on retention ponds for chemical waste at refineries. The ponds were epdm covered and to test to see if the epdm was leaking, they filled the pond with water and added green flourescent dye. Then they checked the french drains for any dye that seeped thru. It worked well.

This same type of test can work for your drains.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

dsmith1 wrote:
There are companies that inspect foundation drains with a video camera if there is an access point such as a sump pump pit.

This is the best way that i have seen. It will give a clear picture of what, if anything is going on. It can easily indicate where there is a blockage, if any, and what is doing the blocking, such as a broken pipe, a pop can, rock etc.

In our area the cost will range from about $250.00 and up depending on access and length of time required for the inspection.

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

adequate discharge capacity, unless it drains somewhere to daylight well away from the foundation) are still a very poor substitute for good roof drainage and adequate surface grading.

JMO and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?