Is this the right place?

Delete

Sure, post the report.

You are in the right place!

That would be the easiest way to provide opinions.

It all depends on the questions you ask as to what the and answers you will receive.

Here you go!!

The biggest concern for me was the upstairs closet. It has a large crack coming off the frame and the door does not close/open. The inspector believes it is just bad framing and installation. The home was built in 2012. It is in Bexar County Southwest Side. I can be more exact if anyone wants to look at what kind of soil we have.

I had a foundation repair company come out to take measurements of the foundation. The “worst” was a + 4/10 of an inch on one side. We have had a lot of rain. I would have no doubt the soil is moist.

On a side note if anyone wants to give an opinion on this. In my last home, I installed a drip line about 4ft deep and 6 ft away from the foundation. I control it with a Rachio smart irrigation system that keeps moisture content etc. Would you recommend this again or was that too much of a preventative? Thanks everyone,
Travis

Here is the report. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-r5XjjBcxvRTWhicVMwaHhpLUk/view?usp=sharing

I’m not sure you can call that an actual report -lol. Let me guess, you used a real estate agent recommended inspector?

As far as the cracks, and if those pictures are one of them, none of them really look too concerning.

I would agree
Cheers

That must be one of those on site reports. I wouldn’t attach much credibility to it.

The radial cracks at the door corners do represent some framing movement at the opening. In the absence of other significant signs of structural movement or distress, I wouldn’t fret over them by themselves.

I agree with Chuck. Unfortunately the report does not leave any indications of supporting signs. Have you spoken to your Inspector to determine what supporting signs may have been there and/or reason for using these as foundation movement indicators? There are other possible causes for these cracks other than foundation movement.

Yes we did…

You have me very interested. What is “missing” from this and/or how could you tell. I still have time in my option period. Do I need to get my own inspector and quickly?

No we have not but I am more then happy to shoot him an email and inquire on anything you believe I should ask about.

Travis, here are my comments on the report.

1. The post tension caps are grouted and the nails have been cut off as is typical, they are missing the installation of a parge/finish coat in that area. The second set of pictures appear to be typical cracking of the parge/finish coat and does not represent adverse movement, not of concern now but all cracks are worth monitoring for active movement. The foundation level measurements that you posted also are normal.
  2. Roof penetrations not properly sealed is vague and does not tell me anything. Especially when I can see the plumbing vent flashing and from the picture appears to be normal. Why is that picture from the ground? Did the inspector get on the roof?
  3. The drywall cracks do not appear to indicate adverse structural movement, especially if the bedrooms are on the upper floor. That is typically a result of loose frame joints settling. (such as headers not flush with jack studs.)
  4. The apparent “Humming” coming from breaker could be normal, but is worth having a qualified electrical contractor check it out. It’s hard to say without hearing it.
  5. Not sure why he/she spent the time to say the #1 breaker was properly sized. A/C condensing unit #1 specifies max amp breaker of 35 and a 35 amp breaker is in use(correct amp breaker in use) Minimum breaker size is 21.8 amp. Were there 2 HVAC systems?
  6. This is interesting (Loose ground wire at both guest bedrooms, bottom of stairs, formal dinning and entry.) Did he/she mean “open ground” or “lose ground”? This comment indicates they removed the receptacles and switches to check for loose ground connections. Judging by the short 15 page report, I seriously doubt that. I would ask for clarification of what the mean.
  7. The master bath counter separating from wall should go in the wall section of the report. The plumber is not going to fix it.
  8. They did not comment on the cord and plug for the water heater. That does not meet code, however it is accepted by most AHJ. It’s a business decision to make a comment on it.
    I agree with you having concerns on the apparent lack of effort on the inspector’s part, however without seeing the property, it’s hard to be too judgmental. As far as the agent recommending the inspector; that could be a concern but I do not totally agree with that, since that is where most inspectors get their business and we are not all bad. And agents are not all bad, in fact if I ever run into an agent that questions my report, I steer clear of that agent. I only work with the ones I know I can trust to respect my judgments.
    Hope this helps.

After viewing the report if I were you I would hire another inspector, for sure.

I agree with everyone else. When I read the report, and look at the photos, it doesn’t all add up. The cracks, based on the info given, look harmless.

The fact that he have may printed onsite, or been recommended by the Realtor are irrelevant, and those are disingenuous comments from those inspectors. However, you should do what you can to get your money back, and hire a real inspector. Most of us here don’t agree on a whole lot, but we agree you didn’t get the service you deserved.

Nothing disingenuous about it at all (who the hell are you to publicly challenge the veracity of others, because you have a bias toward cheap onsite reports and minimized inspection times?). If you think your onsite reports will stand up under scrutiny next to others, feel free to put one up. Maybe one of the nine where you had to issue refunds to dissatisfied clients.

Travis

The main goal for you after the inspection is to have peace of mind. If you do not feel this way I would highly recommend you contact another inspector of your choice before the end of your contingency time to come out and complete another inspection.

I believe your main concern was the cracks, and I thought you hired a structural professional. If you did hire a SE did they provide a report?

I know Texas is a licensed state for home inspections and they have to follow a minimum guideline.

I just want you to have the Piece of Mind and be able to enjoy your prospective new home. I wish you the best I I would be glad to help you if I can.

Unfortunately the Texas mandated Standards of Practice (SOP) do not require the Inspector to provide a full list of movement signs used to determine that foundation movement occurred. You can read the SOP here TREC Rules | TREC . look to the right of the page, Table of Contents, Chapter 535 General Provisions, Start at Subsection 535.222. The section covering the foundation reporting requirements is 535.228. Note the following.

Note the bold where the Inspector is to report the indicators found that they used to make their determination of adverse foundation performance but are not required to report all of them. The signs that were listed in the report are as follows.

Pictures of some possible signs were placed in the other sections of the report under Walls, Ceilings & Floors, and possibly the foundation section if those were the floor cracks mentioned. Also other notations only under areas such as the Doors section.

Those few signs by themselves may or may not indicate actual foundation movement. It is possible that there were other signs the Inspector did not list but used to make their determination. Again keep in mind that the signs listed were also pluralized but no locations provided for some. I would discuss with the Inspector if there were additional signs found that would have supported the foundation movement call and if the signs supported each other in any way to further clarify that movement had occurred.

I don’t do onsite reporting. I never have, and I never will. I know plenty who do and do a phenomenal job. I know inspectors who take hours and produce abysmal reports. I’m not sure what your issue is.

An inspector wrote a poor report. Some sly inspectors used that as a platform to push a disingenuous agenda, and throw other groups of inspectors under the bus. Which part of that isn’t true?

If you have a different opinion, feel free to express it. If you get the urge to slander other inspectors by telling a member of the public that they’re being dishonest, you better suppress it or be prepared for the fur to fly.

Please do tell us to what you attribute having racked up nine refunds to dissatisfied clients and payments for repairs due to missed defects. That is an amazingly impressive record of failure in only 3,500 inspections for House on a Rock. Do you think it’s poor inspections, deficient reporting, a combination of both or do you blame your clients for your failures?