Island GFCI requirments

The home had a kitchen update somewhere between 1999-2003.

**When was it required to have a GFCI at the island?
I thought I would show a few pictures of todays inspection.

It seems the A/C guys like to tap in the main because there is no additional breaker.

I asked the owner why the basement light was taped. He stated it shut off the microwave receptacle.:roll:

The basement wiring was special. That is a light hanging from the ceiling.

This house was a good example of the benifits of a pre listing inspection. As an industry we could all increase are revenue if we increased people knowledge of having an inspection before they sell.

I spend at least an extra hour to help with contractor references, getting redy for the buyers inspector.

93207 057 (Small).jpg

93207 070 (Small).jpg

93207 056 (Small).jpg

http://www.mikeholt.com/documents/nec/pdf/GFCI_requirement_page2.pdf

Were on there does it say anything about island receptacles?

The island is in the kitchen, no?

Additionally, one could recommend installing GFCI’s “for enhanced safety” not mentioning the code at all.

In the 1996 NEC, the wording was changed to include ALL kitchen counter receptacles, not just those within 6’ of the sink.

Thanks Marc.

This is a pre listing home that had the kitchen done between 1999-2003.
The electrical was not updated.

I include the GFCI chart in all my reports.

It may be a defect from a HI standpoint, but maybe not a violation. I can be years before a jurisdiction legally adopts a certain code revision. You have a good eye, just the same.

I dont know about the good eye. I just had a call back that said they had 13 gas leaks:shock: There was no gas odor. It was discovered when the gas company read the meter. They shut it down and said get it fixed.

I have a tiff but I only use when I smell the gas to locate the leak.
To miss 13 leaks. Man this seems like I would of smelled something. I have a better nose than eye. Well I guess maybe NOT!!

In regard to the kitchen & I just finished my own remodel & I consulted with my electrician to make sure it was all up to code.

Where it says KITCHEN. :smiley:

I always call out GFCI’s to the latest standards in use, all of my findings are just RECCOMENDATIONS anyway. Update, don’t update, fine with me.:slight_smile:

Then when I get the call from the seller and they are telling me their “tradesperson” says it is up to code, I ask them to have their “tradesperson” issue their findings in writing and sign them, to the client, like I did.:wink:

Kitchen island notwithstanding, all that unprotected branch wiring visible in the pics ought to be called out. Looks like the moisture problems rotted away the nice paneling that used to be covering that up. A little hydrostatic pressure, maybe???

Marc is right, as usual…1996 is the year. BTW, Marc…i’m just curious, really, and mean no offense (particularly since I get lots of good info reading your posts)…did they sometimes call you “Skunk” in HS?:mrgreen:

No, I went to a private high school, where such nonsense wasn’t really a custom. I did hear it quite a bit in grammar school. Some people on this site in particular have taken to calling me Skunk when I rub them the wrong way. The fact that I havn’t heard that since grammar school tells a story of its own. :wink: It doesn’t really bother me, though. When I’m ordering something over the phone, and they ask me to repeat my last name, I often interject, “sort of like skunk, only shunk”. My name is reasonably well known locally, as my uncle is the weather guy at a local TV station and my great grandfather was governor of my state.

Marc,

I really hope I don’t get something started. Curiosity got the better of me. I won’t mention it again! I enjoy your posts, since I haven’t been “in the field” since before my erstwhile career in the teaching profession. Eleven years is a long time, and much has taken place in the sparky world. Though I tried to keep up, I had to actually do some study to pass my ICC exam, and I gain some good insight on this board, and from your posts especially.

Thanks for the contributions!

Jimmy B.

I also have a lousy sense of smell. I tell everybody that it’s because of too much horserasish and prime rib in my misspent youth. Actually, when my allergies start to kick in, I can’t smell hardily anything.

Anyway, I use a TIFF gas detector too. It’s a quick demo and efficient. Use the tools you need to get the job done. There isn’t a home inspector who doesn’t have at least 2 or 3 flashlights or outlet testers in their bag of tools.

Tell me if this interpretation is correct. The rule applies to kitchen **countertop **receptacles. If the island outlet is on the wall of the island, it would not be required to be GFCI protected unless it is also within 6 feet of the sink.

Joe…if the receptacle is serving the island counter space which would be considered counter space then it would still be required to be GFCI if again it is serving the minimum allowed receptacles as defined in 210.52©(2) and (3) it is still a counter space in the kitchen…if this receptacle is to serve as lets say the (1) required on a 210.52©(2) and (3) then…

Basically…6’ is not the factor…it is a counter top and thus according to 210.8(A)(6) it would need to be GFCI protected.

Paul, you mean any wall outlet that is only 3-5 feet from the sink does not have to be GFCI protected? I see many that are and some that are not.
Some are right under the backside of the sink and are about 12 inches above the floor.

Actually…yep thats what I mean…now as an HI it is perfectly fine to err on the safety side by all means…and most certainly. I was just saying “code” wise…the 6’ aspect does not come into effect in regards to the kitchen counter area…all the counter area needs to be GFCI protected…and if it is not it should be suggested…most certainly.

Those that are only 12" above the floor lets say on the back side are not serving as counter top receptacles…so thus not required to be GFCI.

Don’t get me wrong…remember I am a home inspector also…and I always suggest GFCI’s anytime I can…just wearing two hats in this case.