Kitchen island outlets

Originally Posted By: smcintire
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Who knows how long kitchen island outlets have been required by code?

Thanks ahead of time.

Originally Posted By: dbrown3

Steve,

I do not have code books older than 1999NEC with me but it is required in 1999. Any specifics why you ask?

Originally Posted By: roconnor

For an HI I dont think it really matters when they were required, but a kitchen island should have at least one receptacle no more than 12" below the counter surface using current model codes as a guide to “current safety standards”

For anything beyond that I would call the local building official.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Hi Dale, I just wanted to know for a house that was a 1991 build.

Robert, I guess using your way of thinking GFCI don’t matter on a house or when they were required icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your help Dale

smcintire wrote:
Robert, I guess using your way of thinking GFCI don't matter on a house or when they were required ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

You are partially correct with the last part ...

As an HI it doesn't really matter exactly when things were required, because a home inspection isn't a check on code compliance ... it's about safety. Although it is good to know when certain requirements became effective in general. Also consider that local codes could have required the island receptacle well before it showed up in the model codes. Very often there are more restrictive local/state code provisions that eventually get into the model codes like the NEC.

Take the GFCI provisions as an example. If I see a house with standard non-GFCI receptacles in wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms, I don't care how old the house is or what the code requirement was at the time ... it's a safety hazard in my book any way ya slice it.

Concerning the island receptacle, modern small kitchen appliances (blenders, toasters, elec grills, etc.) are intentionally made with very short cords so it doesn't hang down where little children can grab them. It's also why an island receptacle can't be more than 12" below the counter. Some even question that as a safety concern, and argue that all island receptacles should be surface mounted (assuming no hanging cabinets where it could be mounted).

So the lack of an island receptacle is a safety concern no matter when it was built, due to the likelyhood of an extension cord being used which can be hazardous to small children (the reason for the model code change). It may not be legally required depending on the local code requirements in effect at the time of construction, but it certainly would be a good idea and a safety improvement to add one.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Quote:
It may not be legally required depending on the local code requirements in effect at the time of construction, but it certainly would be a good idea and a safety improvement to add one.
I agree with most of what you say, although if it is required by code and I know this, I document it as a defect. If it is not required, I note it as informational and a safety concern. I feel it is important to be able to back up your defect statements. Is it a safety concern that older houses don't have the safety enhancements of newer homes "yes" Is it logical to expect these items are upgraded for a real estate transaction "No"

Just my opinion

smcintire wrote:
I feel it is important to be able to back up your defect statements.

Completely agree. Knowing the model code requirements as a general reference helps. And if you know what the local codes are at the time of construction that is even a stronger position. But researching that is typically beyond a basic home inspection.

Note that model codes like the NEC are not a legal requirement unless referenced in the local codes, the latest codes are often not adopted (we are still currently on the 2000 ICC and 1999 NEC here in NY), and many times there are often more restrictive local amendments. Very sticky, and why many HI's just use the latest model codes as a guide.

smcintire wrote:
Is it a safety concern that older houses don't have the safety enhancements of newer homes "yes" Is it logical to expect these items are upgraded for a real estate transaction "No"

We will have to agree to disagree there with certain things. Simple low cost upgrades like installing GFCI receptacles to replace standard receptacles in wet areas, or adding a kitchen island receptacle are an easy thing to do related to a possible serious safety risk, which I would red flag and write up with very strong "safety hazard" and recommended upgrade wording.

Something like slightly smaller than currently required bedroom egress windows would be an example of more of just a "concern" in my book.

To each his own, and just my opinions ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?