New Home Construction

Just looked at a home built mid 2005.

GFCI outlets at all kitchen counter outlets. No GFCI outlets on either side of the stove. On the kitchen island with the sink, there are no GFCI’s outlet’s on either side of the sink.

Also there is no GFCI in the main bathroom outlet beside the sink.

Would you install regular outlets beside a water supply that would be protected by a GFCI on a wall counter some 6 to 8 feet away ?

Ray,

If this home was built in 2005 and does not have GFCI at all counter spaces in the kitchen and does not have GFCI in the master bathroom beside the sink then you got some major AHJ sleeping at the wheel down in Florida.

All recepts on the kitchen counter MUST be GFCI protected, All receptacles in the bathroom must be GFCI protected…sink recept. most certainly…Did you try to trip the standard recept. beside the sink…with a SureTest…because just being a standard receptacle does not mean it is not GFCI protected…same for the ones beside the stove…so I just wanted to make sure you tried to TRIP them…or tested them AFTER you tripped the ones that WERE present in the kitchen.

On your last question…YES, as long as the regular outlet is downstream of the GFCI 6-8’ away…and when you PHYSICALLY test the GFCI you should make sure it also kills power to that regular recept near the water supply as you stated…if it does then it is fine…

Remember GFCI’s receptacles protect all receptacles installed downstream of it ( IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY )…so they all would be protected by the first GFCI.

Hope this helps

Thanks Paul. Got another question for you.

The Main bath is approximately 15 feet away from the kitchen. Could an outlet beside the bathroom sink be protected from a GFCI locted in the kitchen if it’s downstream as well?

NO, it can’t if installed per NEC when the home was built in 2005…The bathroom circuit MUST be on it’s own circuit as well the kitchen counter small appliance circuit can only serve the Counter, Dining Room, Pantry and you get my drift.

So in a short answer…NO it should not…

Tehehe…But I am sure others will come and cite some code for ya…and then blame someone like me for posting code…lol…so I did not post any…:slight_smile:

This was a warranty inspection. So I’m suggesting that the GFCI outlet be installed in the main bathroom.
I appreciate your help Paul…

Ray,

Also suggest the GFCI also be on the receptacles to the left and right of the range as well…if they are on the counter…:slight_smile:

Be aware you can have one GFCI serving multiple bathrooms if it only serves the receptacle outlets (not the fan and light). You could have one in another bathroom protecting the one you are looking at.

“Did you try to trip the standard recept. beside the sink…with a SureTest…because just being a standard receptacle does not mean it is not GFCI protected…same for the ones beside the stove…so I just wanted to make sure you tried to TRIP them…or tested them AFTER you tripped the ones that WERE present in the kitchen.”

Kinda what I meant…thanks Greg;)

What year was the CENTER ISLAND required to be GFCI?

it is ANY counter receptacle in the kitchen is required to be GFCI…nothing to do with being an island if it is installed to comply with the spacing requirement…if it services the counter it has to be GFCI protected.

AS for the actual date…I will have to look and let you know…I am on the lap top and not at the office.

1996, see below:

DATES GFCI REQUIRMENTS WERE ESTABLISHED:
1971 Receptacles within 15 feet of pool walls
1971 All equipment used with storable swimming pools
1973 All outdoor receptacles
1974 Construction Sites
1975 Bathrooms, 120-volt pool lights, and fountain equipment
1978 Garages, spas, and hydromassage tubs
1978 Outdoor receptacles above 6ft.6in. grade access exempted
1984 Replacement of non-grounding receptacles with no grounding conductor allowed
1984 Pool cover motors
1984 Distance of GFCI protection extended to 20 feet from pool walls
1987 Unfinished basements
1987 Kitchen countertop receptacles within 6 feet of sink
1987 Boathouses
1990 Crawlspaces (with exception for sump pumps or other dedicated equip.)
1993 Wet bar countertops within 6 feet of sink
1993 Any receptacle replaced in an area presently requiring GFCI
1996 All kitchen counters – not just those within 6 feet of sink
1996 All exterior receptacles except dedicated de-icing tape receptacle
1996 Unfinished accessory buildings at or below grade
1999 Exemption for dedicated equipment in crawlspace removed

I used a sure test on the countertop GFCI’s. The nearest GFCI, when tripped, also tripped off the outlets on the island. The nearest GFCI, when tripped, also tripped off the stove outlets. I just figured that since the Kitchen sink is on that island, then the outlets should have had GFCI’s as well. I personnaly would have been more comforable had it been my house.

It doesn’t matter where the GFCI is located so long as it is provided. Convenience is one thing, safety is another. . .

Yeah I understand…that’s why it didn’t get in the report. Thanks Jeffrey…