It it slow or what?

Yes the estimate is a requirement. HUD asks that 203K consultants do their own estimates but a lot of consultants copy the contractor but although that’s done it’s against the rules.

To become a HUD consultant go here
http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k/203khow

thanks Paul I appreciate your comment

There is 203k seminar this weekend I think in Tampa its in another thread

crap! I ain’t got nothing to do give me more details.

On my phone… I think it was in special discount section… Members get like half off or something

That would likely be 203K in a box. Seminar is about $150

She claims to graduate “Certified” 203K consultants, HUD does not recognize this. You will still need to go through the HUD process.

Go and check it out but don’t buy anything because everything offered is free from HUD and other sources.

Also don’t fall for the hype on how lenders are begging for consultants, there is a shortage in some areas but in the Twin Cities where I live there are over 35 consultants, I am one of 4 that work steady. Took me a few years to get here.

You would do well to look at the 203k software before going to the seminar

7 day free trial.

Don’t believe the hype…

Mr. Lesieur
Has it showed to be a positive income as to the time spent doing the inspections?
Is sound like a good thing.
I don’t want to belabour you with many questions, but…
Would you see this as an additional source of income along with our everyday inspection log?
Let me phrase this better.
Would most of us seasoned HI’s be properly equipped with our knowledge to do this without reinventing the wheel?

Roy

So what you suggest is sufficient as a qualifier?

203K in a box will guide and help you through the process. They will help you get qualified and get work. Then they will help you do the work.

I was doing the 203K and then got into inspections, you are doing inspections and getting into the 203K.

You must be able to handle and understand job costs.

Make money?
I did a $900 write up and 5 draw inspections this week and made $1900 for 2 days work.
I also worked 8 hours doing plan review.
I worked 3 days total for $2580

If you think that’s ok then yes you can make money. I have had busier weeks and been happy with my income. 203K’s and home inspections are a great job and both can pay well, its up to us to make that happen. There is a learning curve like most skills.

My most important requirements are I am able to go fishing, sailing, read, visit friends while making decent money. I am done with the 6/ 7 day 12 hour days. My goal after I become a thermographer is making $150,000 a year working part time. Then I can fool around with my wife and enjoy myself.

That’s my business plan.

A little. All the information in this course you can get cheaper and from better 203K consultants.

The 203K in a box is little more than a guaranty that your going to be paying a lot for a course that will not have you prepared to be a good consultant. Its your money so spend it as you like but most people taking this course will never do one 203K.

They will not help you get work, what bank is going to hire a consultant who just finished a class that has a homeade certification?

You would be qualified. You would need to know pricing which like anything else can be learned.

For me my best tool is my estimating skill, also I am a builder. Home inspection skills were good to have but not the most important. A little of each skill is good.

the reason I side tracked in this thread with this particular topic is it appears to be another source of income for many of the inspectors that around here. I for one don’t want to do it but I do want to know more about it.

I decided to do home inspections because its very competitive to be making a living as a full time 203K consultant. Now I am busy almost full time as a consultant and home inspections is a smaller part of my work. Both when combined offer a one stop solution to lenders, realtors and buyers. I think its a great gig and 203K inspections take 30 minutes to maybe an hour at most.

Becoming a home inspector and joining Internachi was a good move for me and I am learning a lot here. I did bring general contracting, design and estimating skills to the table. The people that hire me think I have it down. For them its “One call to Paul” and they can call for an appraisal within 48 to 72 hours. That’s a big deal sometimes.

Finally booked a Home Inspection:mrgreen:, I answered that phone fast.

One of the keys to success is to answer the phone as fast as you can…
There ain’t a second chance.

They go right down their little lists and do not look back or leave messages often.

Red Neck Roy call me.

Will do later today.

Absolutely true…

When you compete on price. I have clients that would always wait for me and Realtors that call and ask how long the contract needs to be so they can get on my schedule, even in the slow time.