Junction Box required?

What’s the policy on fixtures being wired directly with no junction box?

Need more detail.
Got a situation or picture?

well… um no picture just something I keep getting asked about. Ok… I’ll try to be more clear. So you have a light fixture there is no junction box behind it. If you take the fixture off the wall the connection is behind the fixture there is a small hole in the wall with the wiring coming through… the connection is made at the fixture but no box???

I can not think of a situation where a normal wall sconce would not be connected to a junction box.

Guess my personal question would be how you are sure there is no box?

(edit) Just looked around to confirm that there would not be an exception.Some can use a work box or a eared box such as you see mounted between studs .but UL type fixtures are designed for mounting to junction boxes.

Some fixtures are approved to be used without a box. The box is actually part of the fixture. These are usually bar type fixtures for bathrooms, flourescent fixtures, and wall pack fixtures. Ordinary indoor or outdoor sconces and wall lanterns do not qualify.

There must be a box - whether it’s wall mounted or flush mounted. The connections must be contained within the box.

**[FONT=Times-Bold][size=2]"314.27 Outlet Boxes.

(A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets.
**[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][size=2]
Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached."
[/size][/FONT]

All members should be warned that the poster, Joe Tedesco, has been expelled from InterNACHI twice and has caused harm to members by utilizing telephone calls and emails to interfere with their personal lives…involving their families, employers, and others.

Frank Carrio is a moderator who has chosen to ignore the ban placed on Mr. Tedesco by the ESOP Committee Chairman, Joe Farsetta. He has been assisted with this activity by another moderator, Frank Magdefrau. This ban was put into effect to protect the membership.

Please be advised that nothing can be done by InterNACHI or its moderators should Mr. Tedesco decide to harass you as he has done others. It is best to simply read…but not to engage him in any posts.

Thanks I was fairly certain the only exception is florescent (bad spelling there maybe) where romex goes directly into the fixture. And as for the how do I know there’s no junction box… well first of all one of the fixtures was literally falling off the wall… so then I took a couple down. It wasn’t an inspection it was my friends brand new house. Hum… Tarion says thats an ok practice… I disagree

Luminaire. A complete lighting unit consisting of a light source such as a lamp or lamps, together with the parts designed to position the light source and connect it to the power supply. It may also include parts to protect the light source or the ballast or to distribute the light. A lampholder itself is not a luminaire.

The term luminaire replaced the generic term lighting fixture throughout the Code. Although new lighting techniques such as light pipes and glass fiber optics are sometimes referred to as “lighting systems,” the definition of luminaire does not necessarily preclude such systems, because light pipes and fiber optics are actually “parts designed to distribute the light.”
Luminaire is the term specified by IESNA, the ANSI/UL safety standards, and the ANSI/NEMA performance standards for lighting products previously referred to as “light fixtures” in the United States.Luminaire is also the term used in IEC standards and accepted globally.

**410.68 Feeder and Branch-Circuit Conductors and Ballasts.
**Feeder and branch-circuit conductors within 75 mm (3 in.) of a ballast shall have an insulation temperature rating not lower than 90°C (194°F) unless supplying a luminaire marked as suitable for a different insulation temperature.

The addition of “Feeder and” was added to the title and the beginning of the first sentence in the 2008 Code because luminaires permitted to be used as a raceway could contain feeders. Temperature ratings, along with other insulated conductor specifications, are found in Table 310.13. Note the 90°C rating that is permitted to be applied to Type THW conductors for special application in electric-discharge lighting equipment.

Ok
Just wondered as sometimes they have used a knockout drill bit on the plywood or drywall and it seems like there is no junction box when there is.

There is one instance that I can think of where you rarely see a box… older home with Knob and Tube. See it alot in my area.