Just got home from John's Toronto Class

You’re the teacher, John. Can you lead us into the future without resorting to government charts?

Brian, you are the one who is claiming to be the all knowing protector of consumers, the ball is in your court. Serve it!

He’s on the outside looking in. Sad. What more can I say??

Touché](Touche - Wikipedia)

Do they need a vapour barrier? According to building codes yes. According to other independent sources they may actually cause more harm than good. As long as it is in the Government mandated building code than that is what I follow or should I tell everyone to open their walls and remove their vapour barrier because it may not be of a benefit. Does global warming exist or not? Some say yes some say no.

The problem is not, so much, one of vapor (or air or water) barriers, it’s one of the proper type and kind for the area and climate.

I agree that the local codes (which are the only government mandated codes) must be followed, but you have to understand that most municipalities (at least around here) do not have the proper qualified people to determine what is proper. Mostly, local building codes are more a political specification than a technical one. I recently did some work for the local Village of LaGrange (litigation work, mold houses). The chief village inspector was AIA and ICC Master Inspector rated. Yet, she knew nothing about water intrusion problems (the cause of these mold houses, which were new construction) and, when I showed here the process taking place, she saw it, understood it, but told me that the local codes required it to be built that way. She also told me that the current village codes were the 1992 IRC. She said that she has been trying to get the village to update them for years, but you know politicians.

We will see more of this, over the next few years. I already see village codes clash with the new “green building” standards and codes that many villages are requiring now. They never get together and reconcile these two. So, the builder is building “tighter” for more energy efficiency, but not taking into account how that increased tightness affects other parts of the house.

In addition, at least around here, the people who have political control of the “green building” standards are know nothing activists who have a lot of political pull, but no expertise in building science. One idiot I talked to, who was heading up the new “green” code committee for a local village kept insisting that all buildings be built in the shape of a pyramid because, so he claimed, “everyone knows that a pyramid is a universal shape and helps preserve what’s inside it. It’s been scientifically proven!”

Gonna be an interesting couple of years. :mrgreen:

That’s right…was out doing the second inspection/consultation of the day with an environmentally sensitive lady from Winnipeg who is in the process of purchasing a summer home near the ocean shore here. After my meeting, the client asked me if I would go to Winnipeg (about 2500 miles…she would pay) to look at her home there that is causing her problems again.

Hard to believe? Fact is stranger than fiction!!

Will, I understand everything that you were saying. I was simply replying that as long as it is in the building code than yes it is required whether it is right or wrong in someones opinion. Plus I love the debate that occurs here when a number of people volley back and forth to prove their points, it can be very educational.:mrgreen:

The reason I said this, Will:

“Half-truth facts and street level knowledge that is passed around has to be “unlearnt” and then the building science based on studies that have been going on from the 1930’s will have to be understood”
but it seemed to stir a lot of resentment. Seems everbody already knows it all.

There is definetly a benefit of having a barrier on the attic floor. This prevents moisture from rising and causing damage to rafters, sheating, etc; Paper side faced down insulation generally acts as the barrier. The flip side is that mosture will now be confined to the home envelope which is why we emphazize the importance of adequate air circulation in the living space.

Erol;

How many times have you seen new constuction, with Kraft paper vapor barrier all fine, but with 8 can lights in the ceiling and large spaces around them and holes in the cans that let humidity leak into the attic? I have seen many instances where the rafters or roof decking, right above these lights, is wet (sometimes, liquid water) and mold forming.

Brian;

What is your experience with Icynene? I understand it is a Canadian product and has some benefits over polyeurethane. It’s been up there longer, but we have a local dealer and I want your skinny. Their engineer spoke at a Chapter meeting and seemed to have his head on straight (rather than just being a company shill). Your experience?

errrr… yes, some more than others.:mrgreen:

Back Again, Linas! Seems to me a few months ago, I answered your request for some credentials to back up my claims about some thing or other. When requesting a reciprocal post…I still have zero, nada, nothing.

BTW, I viewed your webpage on your IR services…you really gonna find **all **the mould, bugs, electrical faults in a house with IR…No, you don’t say it but the tone of the page implies it…hence my call on the use of such ads…over-embellishment!!!

“Need an Energy Audit or Mold Inspection? We use Infrared Technology to help us “see the whole picture”.”

Energy audit…This has recently been discussed here…IR by itself is far from an energy audit but will provide some qualitative info that enhances and helps in an audit.

How much mold you gonna find with IR??

“Finally, thermal imaging technology allows us to more-accurately identify damage to your home’s electrical systems. By being able to pinpoint “hot spots” in fuse boxes and household wiring, we can provide you and your electrician with detailed imagery that will help the electrician to identify defects and make repairs more quickly to save you money.”

A thread I began- and it went for 117 posts and over 2300 views- never ended up with a standard procedure of how to load a house and its circuits so as to pick up all faults. Don’t lead them to believe you are “God” with the IR!!

Will:

Just got a low monthly fixed rate for all US/Canada long distance. Will call in the next couple of days about the foam. It’s 1: 43 AM here!!!

Brian writes:

Uh, why do think it is the job of a home inspector using an infrared camera to find ALL faults. The purpose of any inspection tool is to find more, not all. Ever heard of “not technically exhaustive?”

You’re not seriously arguing that the IR camera fails to find more than the naked eye… on the grounds that it doesn’t find everything, are you?

Hey!!! The tag team grows!!!

Have you read a couple of the IR web ads from members I brought to the attention of the board (one has been changed drastically since; the other… we’ll see) or the thread (2300+ views) where Joe F chimes in with a similar tone about “misleading customer expectations” about what the IR process can deliver!!

Nick…don’t know why but for the last couple of months I’ve been get PM’s and even phone calls from members looking for advice…must be adding something of value to the board!! Today I will be calling California again and then calling W. Decker.
Hell, Mario has invited full scale reputation attacks yet I continue to get greens!!

All of my IR work comes from my website. So I must be doing something right. It would be foolish for me to claim I can find all defeciencies. I really don’t need you’re advise. Get a life Brian. You are truly a loser attacking people to get attention.

Brian;

Call office phone (below) or send me an e-mail with you phone (e-mail also below). 1:41 PM, local, on 8/20/08, now.

Thanks;