Kitchen Vent/Return - But Blocked - What is it? and Is it wrong?

New Build - 2022 (warranty inspection)

Three returns in the home - one ten feet from the on in question.
Space above the vent is inaccessible.
Location - Phoenix AZ

There is a square smaller (compared to others) in the kitchen. When opened (see pic) there is a blockage . Blockage looks intentional. looked like a handle? could be a damper, but trying to push on either side of the handle? with reasonable pressure did not budge the blockage. The air filter that was installed (never been changed / one year use) was crystal clean both sides.

It is not an air equalization duct - No adjacent room.
It is not a required return, again one large return in close proximity.
It is not a supply - plenty in kitchen and adjacent rooms.
It is not fresh air intake - fresh air intake filter compartment in laundry room and was able to follow fresh air distribution ducts from the exterior to the air handler. No close proximity to said vent.

Thoughts? What is this? should it be blocked (again looks intentional)? What was or is it’s purpose?
Any information would be appreciative. trying to google blocked return or any various wordage proved daunting with no solid leads.

Almost looks like a fire damper. Unless it’s in a multi-family dwelling, I don’t know why they would have one in that application.

Single family detached.
There is a fire suppression system installed. (sprinklers)

CRD-2, R15, April 2022 (greenheck.com)

4 Likes

Due to it’s location in the kitchen, I’m thinking theres a a big ol range hood/exhaust fan in the kitchen and the damper/duct is for make up air, which would be required if there is an atmospherically vented gas/liquid/solid fuel appliance in the house and the hood exhaust exceeds 400 cfm to prevent pulling exhaust gases back into the house.

Now, even if no atmospherically vented gas appliance is present in the house, make up air would still be needed for the range hood to function properly on a tight new construction house. With a tight new construction, if you put in a 1200 cfm range hood, it’s going to get choked out if there is no make up air provided for it and you will get a fraction of the max cfm.

As for why there would be a massive commercial style exhaust fan in the house? fancy homes put them in their kitchens to look fancy. Practically speak though, asian people tend to almost exclusively use the cooktop and the fumes are noxious espcially when stir frying hot peppers and so on. You’ll notice our ovens look like they are new even after many years because they don’t get used much.

I can count on 1 hand the number of new construction homes I’ve actually seen a make up air system installed for a big range hood.

8 Likes

Morning, Richard.
Hope this post finds you well.

Need more information please.
What type of HVAC? Forced air system?
Any auxiliary HVAC equipment like a HRV? There would be (2) exterior wall vents, unless it is an integrated.

It looks like an inline forced air balancing damper. Dampers balance and adjust the air flow in individual runs of round pipe in HVAC systems.

PS: Mr. Spencer appears right on the money!

Yu - I think you nailed it.

There was a large kitchen vent/exhaust. Considering all the other aspects of the house, this make the most sense from the air filter, location, damper door, etc. Thank You. W1e

A new trend in my area is a second prep-type kitchen off the main kitchen. My clients explain that this is how they keep strong cooking odors out of the home.

One of my clients is a great family guy. He said, “This big beautiful open kitchen is for Captain Crunch cereal and PBJ sandwiches. The good food comes from back there.”

3 Likes

Yea, that’s a good alternative for those with a larger home. I’ve swapped out the builder grade microwave exhaust fan in our house and we’ve changed our cooking habbits a little to mitigate the problems. We use the air fryer quite a lot now a days and have started to use the oven occasionally.

1 Like

Looks like a standard anti-backdraft (butterfly) damper, although I do not see a hinge. There are motorized versions that would resist uncontrolled movement.

backdraft damper

Agree with others about it being makeup air damper for kitchen vent hood installation. Look for fresh air vent outside that would connect with that one in the kitchen. Turn on the vent hood and see if this damper opens while the vent hood is in operation. You might be able to “see” it with thermal camera. Turn off the hood and watch and listen for damper motor to close the pictured vent. These are becoming more common in my area for new construction. Almost certainly a motorized damper for make up air for the kitchen exhaust hood.