Kitec Plumbing Concern

Hi Everyone.
I came across this type of plumbing supply under the kitchen sink in a condo that I inspected and am just wondering if this might be one of the Kitech brands. The list that I have shows “Aqua” as one of the Kitech brands but this one says “Uponor AquaPex” And from what I see, Uponor is ok but I’m not sure. Obviously, I will get them to have a licensed plumber to check it out but does anyone know.

Thanks for your help.
Max

The concern with Kitech is the fittings, not what you are showing. Check the fittings, could be a problem if brass, no issue if plastic. I could be wrong, but as I recall, the chlorine in the tap water caused the brass to corrode.
Cheers

The “issue” was related to PEX and its fittings made by IPEX Inc, not the same company as Uponor.

The fittings are plastic. Thanks Guys.
Have a great day
Max

Hey Max, here’s some info I have about Kitec:

Kitec was the most common brand name. However, it was sold under other brand names as well, such as AmbioComfort, AQUA, KERR Controls, IPEX, Plomberie Amelioree, PlumbBetter, WarmRite, XPA, and Kitec plumbing systems can usually be identified by the brass fittings, which will usually have one of the following stamps: Kitec, KTC, CSA B137.9/10, ATSM F1974

Kitec plumbing was manufactured and widely used in homes from 1995 until 2007. The orange Kitec piping is only certified to run up to a temperature of 82°C. Higher heating causes the piping to deteriorate and high water pressure can cause the piping to fail. The Kitec fittings are made of brass, and brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Zinc corrodes when it is exposed to oxygen and moisture. The zinc oxide causes blockages in the piping and restricts water flow. This can cause the piping to rupture and allow for flooding. Most insurance companies will want to know what type of plumbing the home has. A plumbing upgrade may be required to meet insurance requirements, or they may increase your water damage deductible or limit the amount of coverage provided.

3 Likes

Thanks Junior, appreciate the info.
I have some of this info but the more the better :grinning:
I think this one is ok but will make a note for them anyways.
Cheers

1 Like

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many top PEX manufacturers have been and are being sued for their piping and brass & plastic fittings. Do your own research :slight_smile: This is why I still prefer copper in my house, I don’t trust PEX. These companies will give you 25 year warranty, then what? replace everything? every 25 years? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like