Laundry Chute Doors

Ran accros laundry chute at inspection today, had hinged plywood door at top and no door at bottom. Is there a requirement (i.e. standard) that states what the requirements are in regards to top / bottom door requirements (i.e. fire protectoin / fire stop).

Hi. Sam; I am sure other will chime in here to help you out also.

I don’t believe there are any requirements on laundry chutes other than a little common sence on the installers.

I would like to assumme that the doors will be installed at both levels.

Both for safety and smoke protection.

Door access should be at least 36" off the floor to prevent small children from falling in if the chute is big enough.

Basement are should have a tub or basket collection with a spring load door of sort to allow clothes to drop through and then close.
Anything to prevent smoke from entering the upstairs from that level.

Making a recommendation to safety is about all I see here.

I did find this from Barry Stone that might help;

Sam, found this for you;

**Safety codes for laundry chutes **
*By: Barry Stone *

Dear Barry,
An inspection report on my home rated the laundry chute as unsafe for small children. When I checked with the local building department, they said the chute construction violates no particular safety codes. The people who are buying my home are not reassured by this and insist that the opening to the chute be upgraded for child safety. Are you aware of any safety standards that apply to laundry chutes? – Andy

Dear Andy,

The only code requirements that address the construction of laundry chutes pertain exclusively to fire safety. These codes specify the types of materials to be used for controlling the spread of fire from one portion of a building to another. This, however, is the beginning and end of safety considerations relating to laundry chute construction. In reviewing these codes, one finds no prescriptions for preventing child access to laundry chute openings. This oversight is somewhat surprising when one considers the blatant hazards posed by many residential chutes.

Laundry chutes have become a popular amenity in the design of many two-story homes, and the majority of these are built in ways that enable easy access by curious and adventurous children. In the absence of legal requirements, homeowners should exercise caution to ensure adequate child safety at chute openings. With large floor-level openings, one can easily imagine a child falling to the lower floor of a building or simply becoming stuck in the chute.

Someone recently related a story of a boy who had been forbidden to play at a particular neighbor’s home. The boy, however, had a mind of his own and figured he wouldn’t get caught since the adult residents were not expected for several hours. This clandestine escapade was cut short when he heard the people coming up the stairs earlier than expected. To escape his plight, he bravely ventured escape via the laundry chute. But justice dealt him a swift surprise: He was caught red handed – stuck in the chute like a fat sack of laundry.

Other incidents involving laundry chutes have been less humorous. Therefore, child-proof openings on chutes are strongly recommended, notwithstanding the lack of a specific code requirement.

Hope this helps a little.

Marcel :):smiley:

You could read what others have to say about the topic here:

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=4;t=009658

Marcel :):smiley:

Thanks guy’s, was as I thought, I recommend to client as a safety enhancement installation of a spring loaded fire resistent door at the bottom of the chute.