Laundry sink drain

Is there a particular distance the laundry sink drain should be from the P-trap of the standpipe? Image attached.

Should not be a tee connection however could you please elaborate more for better responses as to what is being looked at ?

Where is the vent.? Wrong fitting as Bob said and needs to be looked at by a professional plumber and vented properly. :):wink:

Let me know if this is what you needed otherwise.

The trap should be below the utility sink .
Is the other riser for the washer ?

Does not have to be directly below but is advisable.

What is wrong with the fitting? It is not a straight Tee, it is an elbowed Tee, you just can’t see it in the pic behind the plastic. The Tee takes the trap tailpipe from the laundry sink, it just isn’t installed. The vent is 2 feet to the left, the stand pipe is for the washing machine. How far away does the fitting need to be from the P=trap of the stand pipe?

how many inches is the drain pipe and I posted a chart for you.

That chart is not for this, the chart is for how far the vent can be, i think. I just want to know how far the laundry drain can be from the p-trap. I drew it out in this pic.

Not aware of a limit.
Trap water seal is to prevent gases from backing into the room so it is more a matter of not wishing more sitting water in the pipe.

A longer run may not be in code as long as there is a trap between the drain mouth and vent.

Perhaps someone knows otherwise.

OK Mike
Here is the full Illinois code on traps.

Section 890.410 Fixture Traps/Continuous Waste

a) Fixture Traps. All directly connected plumbing fixtures, except those having integral traps, shall be separately trapped by a water-seal trap, placed as close to the fixture outlet as possible. A kitchen sink with up to 3 basins may be installed on one trap if one compartment is not more than 6 inches deeper than the other and the waste outlets are not more than 30 inches apart. (See Appendix D: Illustration A.)

b) Distance of Trap to Fixture. The developed length from the fixture outlet to the trap weir shall not exceed 24 inches, except when an interceptor is used as a trap, it shall be located as close as possible to the fixture. The maximum developed length from the fixture outlet to the inlet of the interceptor shall not exceed 5 feet. (See Appendix D: Illustration B.) The standpipe inlet for an automatic clothes washer shall not exceed 48 inches above the weir of a trap.

c) Trap Size. The size of trap for a fixture shall comply with Appendix A: Table E for minimum size of traps. No trap shall be larger than the fixture drain to which it is connected or the drainage pipe into which it discharges.

d) Type of Traps. Traps shall have a uniform and smooth interior, and shall have no partitions or movable parts. The trap seal shall be non-adjustable. (See Appendix D: Illustration C.)

e) Drum Traps. Drum traps shall be 3 or 4 inches in diameter and provided with a fixed water seal of at least 2 inches. The trap cleanout shall be one size less than the trap diameter.

f) Trap Seal. Each trap shall have a water seal of 2 inches except where a deeper seal is required to prevent the loss of the trap seal by evaporation. Where loss of the trap seal may occur due to evaporation, one of the following shall be used:

1.     Vegetable oil may be added to the trap.

2.     A deeper seal not to exceed 8 inches may be used.

3.     An automatic trap primer may be used.

g) Trap Cleanouts

1.     Each fixture trap, except those cast integrally or in combination with fixtures in which the trap seal is readily accessible or except when a portion of the trap is readily removable for cleaning purposes, shall have an accessible threaded or cam lock cleanout plug of ample size protected by the water seal.  (Exception:  See subsection (g)(4) of this Section.)  The cleanout plug shall be of brass or other non-corrosive type material.  (See Appendix D:  Illustration D.)

2.     Trap cleanouts shall be made gas and watertight with a threaded cleanout plug and approved washer.

3.     When a P-trap is used on a bath waste, it shall be directly below the tub overflow.  The overflow shall be fastened to the tub by means other than the face plate.

4.     A P-trap on a plumbing fixture which is not accessible may be installed without a cleanout plug or having a portion of the trap readily removable, provided there is access to a cleanout within 3 feet of the trap.

h) Trap Level and Protection. Traps shall be set level with respect to their water seals and, where necessary, they shall be protected from freezing.

i) Traps Underground. Underground traps shall be provided with accessible and removable cleanouts, except for separate “P” traps into which floor drains, urinals and other fixtures with removable drain strainers discharge.

j) Building (House) Traps. No trap shall be installed at the base of a soil or waste stack or in a building drain.

k) Prohibited Traps. Use of the following traps is prohibited (see Appendix D: Illustration E):

1.     Traps which depend upon the action of movable parts for their seal.

2.     Full "S" traps.  Exception:  Water closet and similar fixtures which depend on self-siphonage for their proper operation.

3.     Bell traps.

4.     Crown vented traps.

5.     Unvented running traps.

6.     Fixtures with concealed interior partitioned traps.  Exception: Fixtures with integral traps constructed of vitrified earthenware and penal institutional fixtures with integral traps constructed of ferrous material.

l) Double Trapping. No fixture shall be double trapped.

(Source: Amended at 28 Ill. Reg. 4215, effective February 18, 2004)

It doesn’t address my issue. I think it is ok since the Tee is an elbow tee.

I feel sorry for your wife buddy.
It says close as possible.
I highlighted it for you.
I wash my hands.
Go Bulls.

Bob that is for the fixture trap. I want to know the distance between the fixture trap and the standpipe trap.

Look at the picture and follow the blue line. How long should that line be?

I south-east no reason to care unless you are measuring to the vent .
Why would distance to the wye connection matter?

OK as long as you are not double traping which you are not.
One trap for standpipe and one for sink.
You can have up to 4 traps feeding if I remember without cheating.

I was thinking it could cause siphoning of the 2 inch P-trap.

Water seeks its on level if there is a branch close or further away.
They both need to be what about 6 feet or less from the vent.
Any type of siphon effect you are thinking of would occur no matter the distance.
Water does not compress.

Mike, see if this helps.

:slight_smile:

Thanks guys for the info. It all helped.