Ledger Board Install

Hey everyone.
This is from an inspection today. It does not appear that this ledger board was installed correctly. It looks like it is installed right on the vinyl siding but I just want to double check in case I missed something.
Thoughts??

That is what it looks like, there is a lot going on there, not to get into details,

3 Likes

A few red flags. :grinning:

3 Likes

Agree with Scott and Junior.
The only thing positive is, it’s a small deck, so only a few people will be injured when it fails!!

6 Likes

That is not done correctly…ledger on top of siding, no visible flashing, open risers, non graspable hand railing…just to name a few defects…Dangerous. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

The bolts holding the ledger board should be staggered up and down.

7 Likes

What year was the home built please?

It was attached to the deck on the wrong year. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

about 10-12 years ago when the home was built

Thanks everyone for the help.

1 Like

How is this for the report?

Ledger Board - Improper Install:
[]Observation / Condition: The ledger board was not properly attached to the building at the time of inspection. It was attached to the vinyl siding and not to the main structure.
[
]Concern: Safety hazard as this method of attachment is substandard and can cause the deck to pull away from the building and possibly collapse.
[*]Recommendation: A deck and/or ledger board be properly attached by qualified contractor.

1 Like

No…The siding was between the leger and the home.
You could not verify their attachment because it was not visible.
Siding between the ledger and the home may have been allowed at that time.

So, I would be careful on my wording. Not properly attached or you do not approve of the attachment are two different things.

1 Like

Observation: Siding was between the ledger board and the home. Though this may have been allowed at the time of construction, it is not recommended and no longer allowed.
Concern: This method of attachment may be prone to failure.
Recommendation: Correct ledger attachment by a qualified contractor.

3 Likes

Ah ok makes sense.

Thanks Brian

1 Like

Don’t forget the lack of ledger flashing, it may compound the problem. Very important.

One more thing to consider in the future. Whenever you have that type of attachment below a sliding door, there is a good chance water has entered behind the sheathing. It is a common problem. Always always check below the door on the inside for signs of ANY moisture. I always hit it with a moisture meter or thermal camera.

3 Likes

Damn, that’s some strong ass vinyl.

6 Likes

Brought to you by the makers of Flex Seal and Gorilla Glue.

2 Likes

I would be cautious before mentioning the ledger is not attached to the main structure…? No?
Its just not visible.

Roll back to Randy’s post #5. Imagine the ledger splitting along the bolt line. The bottom half of the ledger and all the joist brackets just fall away. That’s why the attaching bolts are staggered! don’t forget to put that in your defect list.

2 Likes