Lennox Furnace Venting

Originally Posted By: dcbick
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Lennox Elite Series; M/N# G26Q4/5-100-5; 100,000 btu; nat. gas; I believe it was installed 00-01, service records showed routine service every spring and fall since spring of 01. Looked great, sounded great, ran CO2 test and showed 0.

The question: The two pvc vent pipes, one intake and one exhaust, after about 12'-15' from the furnace it went behind a large hutch type cabinet, definately a hidden area, the one pipe connected to the other using a "Y" and one pipe exited thru the side wall outside. This doesn't seem right?

--
Dave Bicknell
Bicknell Inspection Plus, LLC
Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Hi David,

The Y connection is probably for the furnace and hot water heater.

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Sounds like a concentric vent. Look closely at the exterior grill for the vent. Inside the Y and the combustion air and exhaust are kept separated. There is an internal baffle that does this.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Paul, awesome detail. I was wondering if that is what he was referring to. I have never seen one before. I am just curious about the legalities regarding the exhaust coming out so close to the intake?

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: psabados

Here is a couple of different links for other type of installations

http://www.laars.com/documents/heatsystems/Ltd-iss7.pdf#search='concentric%20venting'

http://www.tnb.com/mpd/pub/reznor/iom/I-V-SC.pdf#search='concentric%20venting'

http://www.heat-fab.com/products/saftventsc_desc.shtml

Lots of good info and installation details

Paul

Originally Posted By: lkage

Similar to direct vent fireplaces. We see quite a few of those up here.

Thanks for the comments; There was one approx. 2" standard PVC pipe coming off of the side of the furnace and one coming off of the top also standard 2" PVC, once they hit the ceiling they ran side by side for 12’-15 feet and then the one pipe connected to the other with a “Y” connector and one pipe exited thru the side wall. The hot water heater was not anywhere near the furnace and was electric. There was no other appliances anywhere near the furnace. The setup looked like a normal NG forced air furnace setup, no add-ons or anything remotely different except where the two pipes connected which was in a “hidden” area.

Any more ideas?

--
Dave Bicknell
Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
no add-ons or anything remotely different except where the two pipes connected which was in a "hidden" area

Most likely the answer will be found here or at the exterior.

Paul

The pipe remained the same size to the exterior wall. They joined together probably about 18-24" before going thru the exterior wall. On the outside it was different. I can’t think of the right term but around here (central WI) Lennox dealers use a different piece on the outside. About 8"-10" long probably a 3" diameter with a 1 1/2-2" id, these I have seen on numerous Lennox furnaces. I just have never seen where the two pipes are joined together. I will be going to see the Lennox dealer tomorrow to see what’s up. The type of PVC appeared to be Sch. 40.

Dave Bicknell

Wisconsin

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

eusa_wall.gif

I think you'll find its a concentric vent. Maybe they will call it something else but the principle is still the same. Re-read the first few posts.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

icon_lol.gif

I see the light!! Thank you!!!

--
Dave Bicknell
Wisconsin