proper venting

Originally Posted By: bsarles
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just looked at a house that had a lennox high efficency furnace installed and I saw somthing I never saw b4 and I need help.It was a 4 burner forced air vented with PVC ,now here is the thing,one pipe came out of the combustion chamber and the other pipe came out from the dilution air and was running parallel with each other and just b4 they went through the wall to the outside they were joined together with a y looking connection and continued outside as one.How does that work??? Can anybody help please.

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

From what you described it is a concentric vent system. Perfectly authorized per manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Gary Reecher, CM

HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links

thanks for the info but I dont understand how it works.If exhaust is being pushed out doesnt dilution air have to come in at the same time?and if so how is it possibe with that configuration

Originally Posted By: Gary Reecher

Outside you’ll find a cone assembly. The vent gases come out the center. Combustion air is pulled at the base of the cone next to the wall. Inside the large pipe, in the basement, going out is a smaller pipe which vents the furnace gases. Combustion air is pulled through the large pipe.

Gary Reecher, CM

HVAC Service Technician

MechAcc's Carbon Monoxide Site Links

Thanks gary for the info.Where are u located?