Letter to all inspectors from Porch.com's CEO.

Here the other thing that doesn’t make sense:

None of this has to do with the home inspection. None of it.

But it does have everything to do with the buying and selling of homes.

So why would anyone in their right mind target the home inspector as the vecichle to sell this service?

A home inspector usually only spends a few hours to part of a day with a client.

The Real Estate agent spends days, weeks, sometimes months, with a client.

The Real Estate agent is a much better position to know if the client is a good fit for this program. The Real Estate agent is the one involved in the buying and selling of the home. The Real Estate agent is a much better target for this type of program.

So why spend so much time trying to convince home inspectors to sell an item that has nothing to do with inspections?

My only guess is Porch things all inspectors are gullible and thus made them (us) their target.

In trying to apply some logic to it, maybe Porch feels inspectors are a more trusted source than Realtors when it comes to the nuts and bolts of a home’s condition and its maintenance. Most Realtors I know actually are not very good sources for such information, so their credibility may not be very high in this regard.

1 Like

What does changing over their utilities (gas, trash, water, electricity), arrange service or mounting their TV, painting a room have to do with the nuts and bolts of the home?

None of that has to do with an inspection.

That and maybe/probably the NAR doesn’t want anything to do with them.

Yet!

Remember Nick saying there would be no details about “Pre-Listing Inspections” until later in 2018?

I suspect they will all be tied together in some way.

You heard it here first!

Bingo, I’ll go with that Chris. This whole idea is as grey as it gets. Just look at the players involved. All those inspectors they just put on their board have been and are willing to sell their clients info without giving it a 2nd thought.

All of this will absolutely have a negative affect of the industry as a whole, which will thus cause negative issues and problems for the vast majority of all inspectors.

This is a bad thing for Home inspectors as well as the innocent unsuspecting public. Hopefully the state legislators, NRA, IRS Media etc… all catch on quickly and putt an end to it and those involved end where they should be.

Jim

Would you think anything less of him?

Jim

As most of us are admittedly single man ops, I’m surprised the lack of “independent voice” in that regard, there are a number of folks that I can think of that could have given a voice to that part, of which is still the majority of HI’s.

The corporate push in our profession in troubling IMO. For example, since the injection of corporate $$ in several vendors, I have not heard of even one improvement from said vendors, quite the contrary, there are now stories / threads popping up where the opposite has happened. An inspector recently posted that their biz was hurt to an extent in that regard with unwanted calls to clients where not authorized (please correct me if I’m wrong).

Again, no disrespect the HI’s of said board, but I can’t help but agree with the sentiment expressed here in the make up of such, I think there’s something missing.

If you are an established HI, maybe this doesn’t mean much etc, but in the end, there’s not just writing on the door, there’s billboards LOL.

Independent Home Inspector’s seeking to serve consumers are still the majority of this market, and it’s my opinion that the fewer ties to 3rd parties the better. We are not their to serve the needs of others, we are in fact being paid to provide an accurate, independent and thorough inspection and report of real estate. Also, at some point, all of these extras will serve as an expense to the client and the possibility of the detriment to their privacy, although I realize much of this is public info, whatever. I don’t think it’s our job to sell out those that are paying us, in now and ever changing ways.

1 Like

Shaun, post a link to your website…and, who was your instructor…and, where did you take the class…and, where do you practice home inspections exactly?

Just curious…:neutral:

Even many home inspectors who actively violate the trust of their unknowing clients by selling their private personal information to lead brokers in exchange for gimmicks and other promises of “success” will take pause at linking their own reputations to those of contractors who do poor work. Not all home inspectors, but many.

Like Ian and others have asked, what was the need or void to fill? Is there an answer to this that’s been overlooked or not discussed, or is this simply an exchange of “we want to know who you know and we’ll pay for it” kind of thing? When did HI’s provide “help” moving in? It’s been said 1000’s of times, our’s is a snapshot in time… so, what is this latest partnerships purpose to our industry (as well as others).

And soon negative reviews will read like this.

“I hired Porch, who was referred to me by my Home Inspector, to have a drip pan installed under our washer and dryer”. It did not end well. etc. etc.

Matt was asked to write that letter by some of the advisory board members.

Many of the advisory board member are the greatest critics of Porch, or at least have been the most vocal critics.

There are some very large and successful inspection companies on the board and some much smaller down to a one man operation. I would assume that those were chosen not only for their influence in the industry, but their business acumen.

There is no doubt that our boutique industry has changed. Just like many industries before us. The Real Estate industry is doing the same (here is a good example https://www.exprealty.com/). The fact is we cannot stop the change, like it or not. In the last ten years it has been moving in this direction, just look at the number of multi-inspectors companies that have grown.

Over the last five years or so nobody can deny that many whom(especially new guys) that used some vendors products have flourished. Most of those products were met with the same disdain. There is several reasons for that, which I will not get into.

The fact is Realtors work hard to find many clients a great home in a great neighborhood with all of the amenities that they are looking for. We come in and show them all the things wrong with it. They are now left holding the ball and have to decide about the biggest investment of their life with holes shot in it. Not knowing how much or who to call in many cases. The Realtor and inspector can give much guidance in this area but don’t always and can’t always do enough for many of the buyers. Even after they close, they still have many huge tasks including moving, all that goes with that and setting up services that they may not be familiar with. For those who don’t know who to call, Porch picks up the tasks and helps them get everything done.

Our society is becoming more and more service oriented while more and more are moving around, this creates problems that Porch addresses. I have more clients than every whom do not want to do anything around the home. They just want their TV hung and don’t have the skills or tools to do it themselves. They don’t mow their own lawns or fix their sprinklers. They don’t want to paint, pressure wash or clean their pool. Porch makes all of this easier for them. Getting a roofer estimate(or roof), a plumber to change the toilets, the satellite TV, the screen fixed, the doggy door installed or the locks changed are just some things that Porch can address for them. For those clients and Realtors that don’t want the service we just have it stopped.

I have personally discussed the Porch offerings to many clients and Realtors and many absolutely love what they offer. It is certainly not for those inspectors who are not forward thinking and willing to be ahead of the curve.

With more than 800 inspectors using Porch, I have only heard a few that had issues and every single one was because they failed to understand what they were doing or offering.

I know for a fact that Porch has helped ISN grow its programmers, some features are rolling out as we speak(yes I test some) and there are a few large ones coming out. Quick books integration and updated invoicing are two. There is a huge one scheduled to be announced at Inspection Fuel.

Everyone should do what they think is best for their company and their clients.

If anyone would like to talk to me personally PM me on Facebook as I don’t visit the message board very often.

Great job of insulting Inspectors, consumers, and pandering to everyone else.

I do apologize, it was not my intention to insult anyone. I was just trying to answer questions posed in the thread.

Baloney.

Any real estate agent who’s been around for a few years has their list of people they know. Any successful inspector is going to have a list of people they know.

And even if they don’t, Porch is NOT providing a list of known reliable trades people, they are selling the buyers needs as leads whomever is willing to pay for it.

The buyer doesn’t end up with a trusted roofer, or the best roofer in town, the buyer ends up with the roofer who was willing to pay for the opportunity to do the job.

All Porch is doing is encouraging pay for play.

I was running a successful home improvement company when Home Depot showed up. They hired the best lumberyard workers and contractors to partner with. They broke into the market and took a big bite of the local market. They contacted me as I was a reputable contractor with multiple certifications, during lunch I was offered an opportunity which I politely declined but in essence, they would own me and my name. Soon after the top notch people they hired were let go and replaced by lower paid workers.

Home Depot tried general contracting and failed to overlook its a personal business and you can’t run a personal and detailed business with $10 an hour part time worker with no experience who quit or was transferred on a regular basis. They then went with subcontractors who were little more than W-9 workers. Lowes did the same thing. They got into the 203K program and screwed that up and now were looking at them doing the same to the home inspection profession.

I say whatever you are comfortable with you should be doing. For most one-man shops the Porch relationship will not work, you will no longer be the boss.

So whats going on here? Its consolidation and control. The American people want consistency so we have McDonalds, crummy tasting food, unhealthy and mundane but it’s consistent. A burger in Massachusetts tastes the same as one in San Diego.

What can you do? Be exceptional and offer a better and more customized product because there will always be people wanting better service. I don’t believe offering warranties and free sewer scopes will last but inspectors in general love being heroes and offering more, the downside of this is they seem to give it up for free. what should be a profit center becomes a freebie and inspectors willingly give their profits up to people like Nathan Thornberry who is doing nothing wrong. He is selling to you and making a lot of money doing it. Like him or not him, Mike Crow, the 203K in a Box lady are expert at taking your profits.

Change is here and you have choices so its your move, try and make it a good one. I’m not joining the Porch crowd because at my age I see no value to me or my clients, but they will steer the market and very soon there will be a new normal in which the realtor will be the beneficiary of home inspection reports. Its how America is run.

http://images.clipartpanda.com/whammy-clipart-koolaid.bmp

As you can see I am not a Porch fan.

You want ‘forward thinking’, how’s this…? In five years when this latest gimmickry is common place in the industry, (no longer a <<cough, cough>> USP), what is the next scammery that will take it’s place? You know damned well the multi-inspector firms MUST have more and more gimmicks to compete to maintain it’s existence. So what be it? What’s next??