Light Swithes

Originally Posted By: charper
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can someone tell me from the “top” of their head…Is there any code requirement other than height as to where a light switch can be placed in a bedroom? Can it be behind the door as you enter the bedroom…Please cite code if you can. Georgia.

Thanks,
Charlie.

--
Charlie

www.HomeInspectionGa.com

Originally Posted By: gbell

All switches and circuit breakers shall be located to allow operation from a readily accessible location. Such devices shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, will not be more than 6 feet 7 inches (2007 mm) above the floor or working platform.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: bbadger

Greg’s post mirrors the NEC as well.

Behind a door stinks but IMO it still meets the NEC definition of readily accessible.

Quote:
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

I would not, and never have permitted the switch behind the door and here’s the rule that can be applied by those who are truly interested in safety. Tripping hazards are sometimes a problem, besides it is just not good design anyway, and the Judge and Jury would agree.

Quote:
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment
(A) Examination In judging equipment, considerations such as the following shall be evaluated:

( 8 ) Other factors that contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons using or likely to come in contact with the equipment

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: bbadger

jtedesco wrote:
I would not, and never have permitted the switch behind the door and here's the rule that can be applied by those who are truly interested in safety. Tripping hazards are sometimes a problem, besides it is just not good design anyway, and the Judge and Jury would agree.

Quote:
110.3 Examination, Identification, Installation, and Use of Equipment
(A) Examination In judging equipment, considerations such as the following shall be evaluated:

( 8 ) Other factors that contribute to the practical safeguarding of persons using or likely to come in contact with the equipment

To each their own, you could try that approach, but it would not play in this area. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

I think most here can see how much of a stretch using 110.3(A) would be.

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

You are also wishing that the AHJ would agree with you, and that may be true on some of the jobs where they are not concerned or know no better or take a bribe to pass a job!

What does "in this area" mean??

I will bet $1000.00 that given the question in front of knowledgeable, and seasoned inspectors, with experience in the real world, that they too would agree with the 110 rule, why that's one of the reasons it is there and has been there a long time!

Think about bags full of groceries and trying to find the switch!

I stand by my professional, well documented and informed decisions!

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm