Looking for a second opinion on this sub panel

Context, I’m in south Florida and ran into this subpanel that power pool equipment on a 4-point inspection. The inspection was about a month ago and I believe that panel supplies the pools pump, a salt chlorinator, and an outlet(s?).

The issues from the original panel included double taps, the feeds for the sub-panel are 12 AWG, and there was nothing tied to the neutral buss. The photo below is the “repair.” It looks like they used pig-tails to address the double taps (the breakers may still be overloaded), and the feeds are still 12 AWG, and missing bushing.

I cant wrap my ahead around the grounds (green wires) being tied into the neutral bar and there not being any neutrals (white wires). What am I missing, can someone provide some deeper insight on what’s going on here. I’d like to give the client accurate information to address the issues because the first attempt at repairs lacked.

I would guess that both loads are 240 volts with no neutral needed. That means that the top CB needs a handle-tie or needs to be a 2-pole. The flexible cord at the bottom right is not permitted in a raceway. The bus bar is bonded to the enclosure so it is now an EGC bus not a neutral bus.

1 Like

Why do you say that, because it is not exterior rated?

1 Like

Do you know what the larger conductors are for at the bottom left? For a pool, You probably have a light, which would have a transformer, and a pump, which is prob the 240, so what is the other breaker?
Typically these panels are fed with 10 gauge, but the 12 may be sufficient based on the load, but that would not be your job to calculate.

Even though the larger conductors are smaller than the 12 g feeder, it may not be an issue if it is just for a pump

There is a general prohibition in the NEC for the installation of flexible cords in raceways.

400.12 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted in 400.10, flexible cables, flexible cord sets, and power supply cords shall not be used for the following:
(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted in this Code

Oh, right.
I wasn’t distinguishing between flexible and romex.

Check to see if the electrician is a Rip Van Winkle type from the 40’s, trained Knob & Tube install…

Insulator jacket damage.
As well, AWG terminations spliced at the wire nut.
damaged insulator jacket

1 Like

Robert, can you see any copper showing? It looks like only the nylon jacket that is over the thermoplastic insulation is damaged.

The nylon is not part of the insulation.

No bushing are needed due to the small size of the conductors.

The NEC allows splices in a panel.

The repair job might be just as bad as what was there before. What size OCPD is ahead of the feeder to this panel? Since the conductor size appears to be #10 it could be that now there is a 30 amp OCPD protecting #12 conductors.