Low Access Structural Support Issues

Called in special because of the services we offer.

1 Like

Did it poke wooden framing members for termite/rot damage?

No, but I can’t either when I don’t fit. That’s the entire point of it.

more like the point is you are going to have to disclaim it anyaway because it’s going to be very limited inspection.

1 Like

Would an inspector who didn’t crawl in there because he doesn’t fit probe them?

1 Like

will you have to disclaim the “robotic” inspection like you would if you didn’t crawl the space due to limited access? what are you going to do when the robot cannot get to certain spots or if you miss some spots?

you can argue it’s better than not inspecting at all… and I can argue that you will have to disclaim it heavily, regardless. What about attics that cannot be accessed? better have a robot, for that too :slight_smile:

anyway, i’m not against it, just want others to understand its limitation that are never discussed by those that wish to sell you one for $2000 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Clients had structural concerns that were seen with the Crawler, other issues were found and noted. Now, much clearer idea of crawlspace issues. Client can now decide if items found discourage purchase or not. BIGCrawler disclaimer use has been written for awhile and looked at by old NACHI attorney.

2 Likes

Non accessible attics are being dealt with as we speak. You can argue all you want here, I know what is better and my clients do also.Thanks for your concerns about me, don’t worry yourself, I am a big boy.

2 Likes

I tell you the absolute truth about these, unlike the other builders. Need to fact check yourself.

Scot - Out of curiosity, Have you ever had a problem making it back to the access hatch or getting stuck? For what it is worth, I think it is pretty cool. It will give you access when limited space is available. It is better than saying “I could not fit due to low clearance or too small of a hatch”. I have been in some questionable height spaces and questioned myself while fighting off the panic of getting out when done…Just curious if you have ran into any problems with it yet for function…Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

There should be something in the SOP that keeps us from entering a crawl space less than 24”. I can squeeze in almost any undersized access opening or crawl space, but them tight crawl spaces are scary. Who knows what’s hiding down there and if you do see something then you have to spin yourself around and crawl out. It kind of makes me think the robot is a good purchase just for safety, I could send the robot down first and make sure everything is clear.

2 Likes

Great work, Scot. Keep at it!

2 Likes

I have got it stuck in the past but only when testing something where I can get it back. When it is not accessible you drive more carefully.

It all comes down to the service you want to perform. I hated saying I don’t know, so I did something about it.

I totally agree Scot, saying I don’t know makes me feel like an idiot, so for many years that phrase is not in my vocabulary, I will find a way to get a job completed

1 Like

How do you feel when client asks you what type of insulation is inside the wall and whether or not the wiring is done correctly behind finished ceiling? how about if there is any galvanized piping inside the walls? I can go on and on. Bring your chainsaw!

1 Like

Well I would still never say exactly “I don’t know” I would respond as this just being a home inspection I can only go so far into finding your answer, now as a contractor I would actually dig into there question and figure it out as long as they know there may be some minor demo.

Has anyone ever told you that you are funny? I won’t.

Non member clown or troll, sure.