Main electric panel clearance

There seams to be a lot of rust on the panel is there a moisture issue going on? What’s the inside look like. Also That panel has tandem breakers in it. I do not think that manufacturer allows those as it’s not showing on the manufactures label.

1 Like

Especially on old, old homes. I recently did an inspection on a 50+ year old home. Could have wrote volumes. Client backed out of the deal primarily because of my report then found another house but hired a different inspector because “dad” thought I missed something.

1 Like

For older homes, it is what it is. As long as it’s not a safety issue I don’t red flag stuff like that…unless there is a bunch of bad DIY work done. Fact is, some stuff like this may warrant a concern to mention with reason, but to suggest moving a main panel box, or relocating the entire laundry area is not going to happen. The reality will be that the selling agent will stop referring you to their clients. There is a fine line, and picking your battles wisely will let you focus on issues that are hands down non negotiable defects. But in this situation, it wouldn’t hurt to write a general comment about the limited access to the panel box due to the obstructions just to make the buyers aware of it.

1 Like

I noted the rust as well. You can’t see it in this photo but there are cabinets above the washer/dryer connections. The cabinets have moisture damage on the underside as well. I discussed this with my client on site and let him see it. Figured it’s may be from the humidity and moisture coming from the washer/dryer.

That’s what I told my client. I told him most likely that connection had been there for 40+years. I told him due to the rust in the panel and and moisture damage under the cabinets right above the connection I would out in the report just in case, but the real concern was access to the panel with two appliances in front of it. I told him to make sure when you put the appliances there to keep that in mind and leave a path just in case. Also that panel is only 100 AMP and he said he might upgrade it anyway. And there were several double tapped wires in the panel and a loose wire. So he is going to have an electrician look at it. Your scenario is what I am trying to avoid. Thanks all for the input. Really appreciate it.

GFCI not needed unless there is a sink in the laundry room. If there is a sink and the outlet is a designated outlet for the washer then a GFCI is still not required.

1 Like

Current NEC requires all 120v receptacles in laundry rooms to be both GFCI and AFCI protected, regardless of proximity to sink or use.

3 Likes

That’s my understanding too Chuck. Also required in garages.

Thank you Chuck! This is why I believe in continued education. It’s common sense not to have a receptacle that close to a water supply…so I thought. :nerd_face:

It is explained pretty well here;

GFCI Protection:

Now, let’s refer to NEC 2017, Section 210.8 for the answer to the GFCI portion of our question:

210.8(A)(10) – All 125V, 15a and 20a receptacles installed in “Laundry Areas” shall have GFCI protection.

The NEC doesn’t require GFCI protection for clothes washing machines specifically , but it does for “ Laundry Areas.”

Now, here is the question: Are you, as an installer, putting this washing machine in the laundry area?

If the answer is “yes”, then you have your answer- the clothes washing machine will be GFCI protected, because all 120-Volt receptacles are to be GFCI protected in laundry areas, per the 2017 NEC.

If the answer is “no”, then we are faced with another question: Does the placement of a clothes washing machine into ANY area of the home make it a laundry area? I will say this: it takes a 120-Volt outlet, a drain system, and a water supply to use a clothes washing machine, so YES! It is this inspector’s opinion that wherever you install a clothes washer, you have established a “laundry area”.

2 Likes

Chuck do you remember the code reference for that? If you do I would greatly appreciate having it. I just need to CYA. Thanks

See the post above yours.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I did some more digging of my own and sure enough there it is 210.10A. I also read 210 D about dishwashers. Learning is a never ending job. Happy to be a InterNachi member! Again thank you.

1 Like