Utility closet

Originally Posted By: jlybolt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/1/ ]

I want to say that the electrical panel per todays standards should not be located in this closet. Mostly because of working cleareances not being meet. Is this correct?

Originally Posted By: mboyett

James, I agree with the working clearance issue for sure. [Image:http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/Panel_Clearances1.JPG ]

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

A utility room is not a clothes closet but working space rules still apply.

If there is unobstructed working space with the door open you would still be OK.

(the tan thing on the wall is the panel?)

This could have been code conforming before the washer was put in front of the panel and the overhead cabinet was installed icon_wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Greg,

That tan thing you see on the wall is the Washer supply and waste area. I'd imagine the panel is on the side wall.

If so, I'd write it up as obstructed electrical panel with improper clearances.

I bet this area will remain that way when your buyers move in.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks for everyone’s help. The sub panel is on the side wall. I did wright it up for lack of clearances. Highly doubtful it will be changed since this is a fourplex that an investor is buying. Once again, thanks for the help.

Micheal, thanks for your help with this post and other post in the past.

Your help is appreciated.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Working space in a residence is probably the most frequent violation you will see.

Homeowners just can’t seem to leave that much empty space. I am guilty too. I have heard the argument that the best place for a panel is behind a door since the door swing will reserve working space … assuming they don’t block the door swing.

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

lots of my tenents like to hang a poster or picture over the panel located benind the bedroom door. they do get pissed when i move the picture and don’t put the nail back for them to rehang it. oh well, if there is ever an emergency, at least someone will find the panel. usualy the ones who block it don’t know what the hell it is. it’s ugly and dosen’t match the drappes. icon_cool.gif