Main Service Cable Spliced and supplying 2 panel boxes

The main service cable is spliced in the panel box and from the splice it feeds 2 panel boxes. One panel is a 200amp and the other one is a 100amp panel box. I have never seen this before and would like to hear thoughts on this set up. Thank you

1 Like

Dan:
It this a multi unit structure?
It looks fine to me from here but I wonder why some inspectors continually think something they have not seen before is wrong. Just wondering.
Cheers

Hi Douglas,

This is a single family home. I did some research online but could not find any examples of this kind of set up. I was curious about the load on the service cable. It is a 1965 house and the service cable is feeding a 200 am and a 100amp panel.

Welcome to the tap rule. Very complicated at times, that being said… that main panel is a Pushmatic unreliable and dangerous. Should be replaced. I’ve come across a lot of those with failed breakers stuck in the on position.

Both panels are service equipment.

I’ve seen many similar installations in larger homes requiring more than 200A service, however, the splice is usually done in a hot gutter. Whether it’s permissible to splice them in one of the panels is beyond my ability to answer without research.

Thanks for the feedback!

Being this appears to be separate services (100 & 200 amps) wouldn’t the SE conductors need to be rated for 300 amps?

The first question which comes to my mind when I see those splices is if the home has a single shut-off device. By the looks of the photos, I’m guessing there might be one at the exterior.

Thanks for sharing, @dwheeler5.

Haven’t seen a PUSHMATIC equipment panel, once thought to be a Cadillac in the industry, for some time. Take me some time to go over the circuit terminations but off hand something looks miswired in the BullDog equipment.

Splices look well done but Chuck brings up a good point.
I refer equipment panel boxes to be replaced when breakers are obsolete.
Observation:
1: Vintage enclosure but the breakers are not obsolete. You can still purchase some certified replacement breakers.
2: Breakers have a life expectancy of 30 to 40 years.
3: Cables have a heat rating.

Current Advice for Owners of Properties Using a Pushmatic or Bulldog Electrical Panel
Home inspectors encountering a Pushmatic or Bulldog brand electrical panel should warn consumers that

• There are safety warnings but conflicting opinions among inspectors and electricians about these electrical panels under either the Pushmatic™ or Bulldog™ brand names
  • There are some reports of Pushmatic™ or Bulldog™ brand circuit breakers failure to trip -
  • There are some reports of Pushmatic™ or Bulldog™ brand circuit breakers being difficult to operate (pushing the breaker in may not reliably “reset” the unit)

Afternoon, Grant.
Good point. Disconnect should be upstream.

I really appreciate all the feedback.

There is no exterior disconnect.

1 Like

Report electrical equipment and any disparities you observed.
Refer to an licensed electrical contractor to further evaluation and update if/where required.
Request ‘the main point of disconnect’ location from the vendor plus electrical service records.
Best I can offer at the moment. Hopefully other will chime in.

Without a main disconnect not much of this installation was ever code compliant. In order for a tap rule to be utilized generally you cannot use SE cable for the tap conductors.

Looks like those se cables are cloth?