Question on distribution panel

Inspected today, distribution panel was kind of a mess. The panel was labelled as a Challenger panel. But only 1 breaker was Challenger. It had Crouse-Hinds and a Cutler-Hammer breaker. It also had a surge protector doubled under the connection for the A/C unit - a Crouse-Hinds 30 amp breaker.

Challenger Electrical Panel Field Study.
Subject to overheated electrical panel components.
Refer to an electrical contractor.

Regarding the OCPD disconnect. 4 power cables terminated under 2 single termination power lugs.
Refer to an electrical contractor.

Time for bed. Will revisit the thread tomorrow, after work, or earlier.

1 Like

There is an issue with how the cables enter the panel. The panel also looks to be in a clothes closet where it should not be.

1 Like

No, it’s in the garage - just the homeowner put a wire shelf next to the panel…

As Jim stated the entry of the NM cables in a code violation. You’re correct about the double tap those CB terminals are not listed for two conductors.

1 Like

What about mixing breakers - different manufacturers? I believe they are all same type, but most have been changed…

The breakers are all same parent company, and possibly were fine in the sense of being classified at the time. Here’s Eaton’s current website listing for replacements, but they won’t list the Challenger ofc.
New neighbor has a Challenger and was none too pleased with the effective ‘soft’ report he got before they bought, especially after looking into Challenger more. Robert’s link is a good one in regard to concerns as to why, and the same one I sent to the neighbor. If memory serves, there are some insurance carriers (in FL is popping into my brain, but I haven’t had much coffee yet today) that won’t even insure a property with Challenger.

1 Like

Eaton BR breakers are a listed replacement for the Challenger breakers.