Marketing plans if I don't choose franchise...

Thanks everyone again for the opinions. We are in the Savannah, GA area and there are no licensing requirements as of yet. I’ve been researching excessively about products if we go on our own. I found one software system that will give us a free year membership here. And my husband has vendors contacts through the military. He designs and orders items for his unit so that should help too with marketing materials. He has most of the tools already and we have a large SUV that should work. He would like to find someone not too far away, but not close enough for us to be competition to ride along with in a few inspections. So if anyone knows anyone open to that in maybe Jacksonville,FL, Charleston, SC or other places 2-3 hours from Savannah please let us know.

I did download this book. It was free if I signed up for the newsletter. I’m about 30% through. Thank you for the link! It’s been very helpful!

Exactly…

With prospects able to purchase a Franchise, the Franchisors evaluate the prospects financial position to spend more marketing dollars.

Ability to spend money is a factor in their decision.

With the tools, education and information available on the NACHI website, a Franchise is generally not needed.

NACHI was not available when I purchased my franchise…

That’s interesting. It certainly wasn’t a factor when I bought my franchise in 2001, and I had interviews with HomeTeam, AmeriSpec, Pillar to Post, WIN, and Housemaster.

I chose them; they didn’t choose me.

Ultimately I chose HomeTeam. Again, HomeTeam didn’t choose me.

You can believe that,
But if the evaluation of financial competence was not in order,
a Franchise would not have been granted…

Purchasing a Franchise is not like buying a Bottle of Water at a store…

Purchase of a Franchise is a Guarantee that you will sell several Thousands of Bottles at a Convenience Store…

Most Franchises are not awarded / considered / given upon the indigent…
Maybe Home Team is different…

HomeTeam did not have an advertising fee built into their Franchise Agreement in some way?
Or
You could purchase a HomeTeam Franchise and agree to never advertise?

Ashley,
If you want / need / request any information with regard to Franchise vs. Independant…
or…
any Home Inspection information related (Software, Marketing, etc… )
Contact me personally at the Office…
I will be in the Office on Monday

The problem with your thinking is that I didn’t provide HomeTeam with any financial information. They didn’t request it. Neither did Housemaster, WIN, Pillar to Post, or AmeriSpec. I think they all evaluated me as a person when I interviewed with them but not a single one asked me for bank statements, financial statements, tax returns, or anything else.

After the interviews, I chose HomeTeam, wrote them a check for $17,500 for a 5-year franchise, and got started.

They did not have an advertising fee built into the Franchise Agreement. I pad 6% royalties on my income. What they did with that 6% I don’t know and don’t really care. They had what I wanted and I made it work.

There was no requirement to advertise. Of course, any smart person buying a franchise, or starting any kind of business, should, I hope, realize that one has to advertise in order to be successful. That would be a big “duh!” for me.

I think one of the reasons why all of the franchises I interviewed with wanted me was because of my marketing background. They knew I was going to advertise, and indeed I did. They all knew that I was interviewing with other franchises, and the calls came in almost hourly from all of them until I had made my decision. Housemaster and WIN were particularly sad that I didn’t choose them.

Maybe that’s why I chose HomeTeam instead of Housemaster…

The only guarantee that I made to them was that I was Russel Ray Kirk (they did want a copy of my driver’s license and social security number.

I did make a couple of promises in that I would pay them 6% of my income as royalty and that, if 6% of my income ever fell below $25 monthly, then I would pay them a minimum $25 monthly.

Indeed they are not. One has to buy a franchise and the last time I checked, the indigent didn’t have enough money in a savings or checking account to buy a franchise. I had to pay $17,500 for my franchise. No, I was not indigent, but I didn’t have to prove to anyone that I had more than $17,500.

That is somewhat true, but they do not have all of the contacts that they say they have. Realtors are independent contractors and do not have to subscribe to whatever the mothership says. Keep in mind the marketing is corporate based, not free. There is very little room for creativity with the franchise model unless your ideas are run up the corporate flag pole and approved.

The other thing is 30k falls a little short of what most of the bigger, better known franchises want to get going. You could buy out someone’s established territory for that, but that’s a roll of the dice also.

Realtors are only independent contractors for the purposes of tax law. Realtors who work with brokerages such as Century 21, RE/MAX, etc., actually do have to subscribe to much of what the mothership says. That’s because, just like home inspections, there is a lot of liability involved, and since they have an established model, protocols, etc., based on law, yes, should you sign on, you need to follow the mothership.

It’s the same with all of the home inspection franchises that I checked out in 2001. I was a franchisee but an independent contractor for purposes of tax law. Never did HomeTeam send me a W-4 to complete or a W-2 by the end of January each year. Never in any way was I an employee of HomeTeam. Thus, I was free to do whatever I thought would make me successful.

Getting approval for doing marketing was extremely easy with HomeTeam. They had no problem with creativity. All they were looking for was proper use of registered and trademarked items. So, although I have used “HomeTeam” here, I could not answer the phone “HomeTeam. How may I help you.” The trademarked name is The HomeTeam Inspection Service, and that’s printed materials needed to say, and what I needed to say when speaking of the company.

Actually, no.

Here are the current numbers:

Housemaster - $42,500
HomeTeam - $19,900 to $39,900
Pillar to Post - $16,900
Brickkicker - $7,500-$25,000
AmeriSpec - $26,900-$36,900

The ones with a range usually let you buy a certain size territory, either by population or by “owner occupied homes.”

Russell, your numbers are a little off with Housemaster. I am actually part of the organization as the Director of NIBI, their training provider.

With all due respect, I think things may have changed a little since 2001, or even 2007-08 when you left HomeTeam.

Maybe they should update their web site then?

It’s a distinct possibility, which is why I keep putting the date in there.

However, Joseph bought his Housemaster franchise before I bought my HomeTeam franchise, so he’s probably out of date, too.

Overall, though, I bet it’s all relatively the same. There’s no need to mess with success.

James,
Since you have now quoted yourself…
To forwardly misrepresent Yourself as a Member while Representative of the Housemaster (NIBI) Organization…

I was suspect… Thank You for the Confirmation…

Amazing Post…
I have captured this since you have now posted your Corporate Position.

Thank You…
(You are aware that you are posting in an open forum)
:slight_smile: