MARYLAND - Any MD Inspectors here willing to chat with a newbie about licensure and getting started?

Hi guys, I’m Stacey.

I’m very new, I just took my NHIE last week and sent in my pre-application for my license today.

I feel very very lost though, like I’m not doing this right. I saw on the MD licensing page that I will have to be insured before they issue my official license - is that true? I had assumed I would be insured under my employer once I’m hired (I plan to work for a company for a while before eventually opening my own business down the road). I haven’t even looked at insurance costs yet because I’m honestly afraid of how expensive it will be for me to purchase before I even have the job.

I have started applying for jobs today, I sent in 4 apps but maybe I should be waiting until I have the license? Some listings mentioned that the license is required for consideration, and some just said that you must be “eligible for MD license”, which I am.

I would love to talk with anyone who has experience here, or states with similar regulations…I think I just need to talk to people who know the business, because nobody in my circle is in this industry so I’ve been relying on Google but there’s just too much info. When my course ended my teacher did tell us to reach out to her with any questions we had relating to the inspection business, so I wrote her a couple emails but haven’t gotten any replies.

I’m so excited to get started in this field, so I really appreciate any input :slight_smile:

Thanks all

I am in Maryland. You can text or call me at 410-504-3751. Or email me at rkenney74@comcast.net

Liability insurance of at least $150,000.00 is all that is required. The Hartford is a good place to start.

In the meantime fill out your forum profile with your location and add a post picture/icon and fill out your signature so it will show in your posts.

3 Likes

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate the info.

Licensed in Maryland as well. Insurance is required prior to receiving your license. Most multi-inspector firms will be thrilled you have already passed the NHIE, and not require your full license. You will be training under a home inspector for a bit (at least in my experience) so having your license right at the start is not a big deal. Feel free to reach out to me as well with any questions.