metal eave attachment

How do you handle metal roof panels secured with one screw at the eave? Many manufacture installation requirements call for one screw on each side of the rib which ends up with two screws at the eave (per panel). It is difficult to call only one screw out as being installed incorrectly without knowing the manufacture. Theoretically only one screw would decrease the wind load rating… So would you report it on the 4-point? I’m curious how others handle this situation and what verbiage you may use on the home inspection and/or 4 point. I was thinking something like, “Eave does not appear to be installed to manufactures recommendations. Further review/second opinion by a Licensed Roofer recommended.”

Recycled Picture-(1).jpg

While many here will agree with your last line “Eave does not appear to be installed to manufactures recommendations. Further review/second opinion by a Licensed Roofer recommended.”
I think it is one of worst things you can say. This is where you should be calling the manufacturer to get the installation instructions. They have paid you for a professional opinion. By schuffing it off to a roofer, who might not even know the answer, yes, you deferred liability, but the client paid you for that answer. Saying that it appears to be installed incorrectly tells your client nothing.

As far as the inspection report and 4 point, should they not both reflect the same thing. If its wrong it is wrong. Why do all you guys try to sugar coat things to make the sale go though. Look at it this way, if you were buying that house, how would you want to see it reported to you. Do you now want to have to go hire someone else o tell you it is right or wrong. And would you want the 4 point to be falsified just so you could by the house. And if you do it that way, what if something happens and both reports are produced. You just bought yourself a roof.

On that type of metal roof profile, there is (almost) always a fastener on both sides of the rib at the eave and at endlaps.

It looks like the fastener spacing is off all over, got any more photos?

And yes, as has been stated, if it’s wrong just call it out.

Dom.