Wind inspections

Under # 4 **roof deck attachment **can anyone tell me the total amount of nails in each strap to meet (c: Single wraps).

One has to be on the opposite side, but how many on the main side?

Generally accepted practice is three, but it depends on how you read the form. It could be two.

You need three nails on one side and one on the opposite. Universal property looks closely at that and has turned 2 nails on the one side to a clip so be careful.

Hope this helps.

I agree.

The funny thing is that the standards don’t even meet FBC, which states that all holes must be nailed.

Unless i have missed something I’m not aware of any code article that requires every hole in a strap to have a nail. The building code puts the responsibility of the roof too wall connections onto the Building Designer whom must identify the type of strap too be used and the # and size of nail too attach. It has been my experience that when the required restraint reaches the point where all of the holes would need to be filled that the designer will then upgrade the strap to a heavier gauge or another means.
Many building inspectors will try to require that all holes to be filled because they do not want to take the time to read the construction documents and count nails

Unless something has changed the manufacturer Specifications will tell you all holes. That is why the code inspector in forces that. But with that being said That is not how the wind form is written

Yep — Last I looked the uplift design resistance of a strap-- say a Simpson HETA20, is calculated based on all holes being filled---- The building inspector is suppose to enforce this unless the design architect/engineer states something to the contrary. However, since traps and design criteria has changed over the years — you will find different nailing in the field…And, the wind mit form has NOTHING to do with anything else - It is simply reporting information to the insurance underwriters so that they can classify according to their own criteria.

Here’s what the FBC says:
R802.2.9 Roof tie-down.
http://ecodes.citation.com/images/NavPara.gifR802.2.9.1 Uplift resistance. Roof assemblies which are subject to wind uplift pressures of 20 pounds per square foot (960 Pa) or greater shall have roof rafters or trusses attached to their supporting wall assemblies by connections capable of providing the resistance required in Table R802.2.9.1. Wind uplift pressures shall be determined using an effective wind area of 100 square feet (9.3 m2) and Zone 1 in Table R301.2(2), as adjusted for height and exposure per Table R301.2(3).

A continuous load path shall be provided to transmit the uplift forces from the rafter or truss ties to the foundation. For rafter construction, straps and/or clips shall extend such that the top nail is within 1 inch (25 mm) of the top of the rafter, or shall be wrapped around the top of the rafter with one or more nails installed on the opposite side of the rafter.

Here’s what Simpson Strong Tie shows:
http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/S-INSTALL09.pdf#page=26](http://www.strongtie.com/ftp/catalogs/S-INSTALL09.pdf#page=26)

Note that Simpson does not state how many nails are required. However, they show all holes with nails.

So, the question is, does FBC trump manufacturer’s specs, or do spec’s trump code? Keep in mind that the My Safe Florida Home scam has created their own requirement’s that are different than code or specs.

Codes are based on the manufacturer’s specs. I did training with simpson and their answer to the question was Why would we put holes if we didn’t want you to use them.

And by the way the codes state that the local official Trumps everything. That means if she wants something you have to do it

Wind mits are a verification of what is there.

Manufacturer’s specs always trump the FBC.

keep in mind this is all insurance terminology. In const there is no single wrap, a clip is a small hurricane clip, what is a truss hanger called, engineers books id wraps as straps with diferent applications.

During hurricane Andrew in Homestead, “single wraps” with 2 nails on one side and 1 on the other held as the truss was ripped apart, but the stap held. Old home with 1/4" straps with 1 nail on each side built with Dade County Pine have held thru 60 yrs of hurricanes.

The single wrap vs clips issue is bull****. The insurance form is designed to raise the rates and we are all sucked into the crap.

The reinpection program is the biggest raping of the citizens of Fl at the worst economy of our life time.

Self preservation or follow the christian values and be a servant, remember the washing of the disciples feet by a king.

Citizens would be insane not to do it.

There is no consistancy in how mits have been done and they will save millions.

The problem is with the OIR they are the morons who came up with a form that is left to interpertation.

They should make a form that all the answers are black and white and have a website and phone number to call when we have questions.

Have 10 guys do 10 wind mits and you will likely have 10 different looking reports.

If it is not on the form you should not give the information. Only answer the questions the form asks and never provide mor information than the form requests. Pictures of marks on trusses and pictures of zircons on walls and roof sketches are ridiculious. Currently if you do only what the form asks idiots at citizens and universal will return it due to others kissing their a-s and giving them whatever they want.