Metal roof question (s)

Did an inspection on this house today. I have not seen this style of roof/structure before and need some help. Home built around 1930. I could not get in the attic as the opening was over the stairs to the basement and could not set up my ladder. I was able to stick my camera up through the opening and snap some photos though. Also the attic hatch had holes in it?, why? The ceilings were made of thin metal panels too. There are some metal homes in this area but the rest of this home was stick built.Any information on this type of structure would be greatly appreciated.

More photos.

Looks like a catalogue home.

Unfolding the mystery is a continuing process; it may be difficult to prove a structure is a Sears’ mail-order house. However, the best way to determine a mail-order structure is to go to the attic and examine exposed beams for numbering or markings. Many researchers have also discovered while removing walls for an addition that the studs are numbered or stamped with the Sears & Roebuck or another mail order company’s imprint. Even windows and storms are numbered correspondingly. Look carefully for any original lighting or plumbing fixtures. The Sears name may be printed on the surface since these items were typically ordered from the kit. The clues are there, you just need to carefully notice them.

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/teachers/lessons/elementary/catalog_home.asp#history

Would this be considered a truss system? And how concerned should I be with the rusting on the underside of the roof?

With a little help on another site and with Barry Adair supplying a link (thanks Barry), I found this home listed as a prefab home. Only this is the company that made it wasn’t in existence until 1947. The listing of this home had it being built in 1930.

http://www.lustronpreservation.org/

The roof looks like it’s in pretty good shape for a home of that age. The concern is the residual thickness of the metal roofing. Rust was visible underneath and some rust spots on the roof. Good ventilation may help reduce the ongoing rate of corrosion.
Obviously replacement of localized areas of failure with new matching shingles will not be an option, although metal can be patched/repaired unless damage is too widespread.
Describe what you see… some corrosion, mention that lack of access to the attic limits your evaluation, disclaim the roof and recommend evaluation by a qualified contractor.

Won’t be too many contractors in the entire country qualified for a Lustron home or building… unless they do their research. :wink:

Basically they’d just be looking to see how close the metal is to rusting through.

Agreed. And certainly some form of treatment should be recommended for preservation if the new owners plan to maintain the original integrity of this unique and rare home.

Kynar 500 is what I recommend. Strongest and most durable metal paint. All areas of rust must be treated first.
www.kynar500.com

I gave the buyers some links to web sites dedicated to preserving these homes. I’m sure they will find information there on how to maintain the home.

I give credit to BA for introducing me to these homes earlier this year. There are several in my area on the registry. They certainly have unique features and interesting history! Not that I will rush out and buy one… but neat to know about nonetheless!

if you or anyone reading ever hear of a Lustron for removal-sale let me know
i’ve just missed purchasing a few haul offs for under $7K and would consider having one for a 2nd on our lake property for the kids and grandmonsters
already have a trucker on standby whenever required

You got it! :wink: