Microwave Oven / Exhaust Vent Combo Unit

How do you write up a range vent that is installed as to vent to the exterior but is installed under the upper cabinet without any pathway to the exterior?

I see this numerous times on new builds.

When I try to explain to client, their eyes usually glass over and are lost.

How do you know this for fact? Did you remove the unit to check the baffle plate??

1 Like

You can feel the air blowing out from the joint between the top of the microwave and the bottom of the cabinet. There is not any air blowing of the vent where the recirculating exhaust exits at the top front of the unit.

The fan in the microwave has to be rotated. The installer failed to do so during installation. Read the link…Above.

2 Likes

I’ve seen the baffle plate installed wrong in both scenarios, both vented and recirculating.

In fact, I missed it once similar to what you described. A client had a range hood that was ducted to the outside. But instead, it blew into the small cavity between the hood and the cabinet.

The client called me 1st (like our agreement states). I went back to the home to investigate and discovered my error. The client and I dropped the hood and fixed the plate together. He even tried to tip me $40.

Now, whenever I have a ducted exhaust, I double down and head outside to ensure the damper blows open. School of hard knocks.

3 Likes

Curious problem as all of the microwaves I’ve installed (a grand total of three) came out of the box rigged to exhaust to the interior (required for most interior wall installs). Instructions allowed fan rotation for an exterior vent installation. So to screw it up for an interior vent application you would have to remove and rotate the fan before installing the microwave. Go figure! Nothing beats reading the instructions! Measure twice, cut once.

6 Likes

That is odd. I have installed an unknown number of microwaves and remember rotating the fan for recirculating.

1 Like

I am glad when I made the mistake, it was a range hood and not a micro.

2 Likes

Must depend on the brand. I installed 12 about a year ago and every one of them had to be reconfigured for exhaust inside.

3 Likes

Agreed, They won’t listen to you. They seem to be the experts, LOl.

2 Likes

Apparently they are shipped both methods. Recirculating or upward exhaust. General Electric installation manual. Page 20 C3. It appears everyone is correct.

2 Likes