Mike Holmes...funny thing

Another funny statement tonight from tonight’s show:
Didn’t catch it all or in full context as I was on the phone then and trying to watch the tube but to the effect of…
They’re making roof sheathing thicker now as roofers were falling through it!!???

I want to see that see that statement again just to make sure I heard right.

Mikey your my hero !!! :roll:

http://www.nachi.org/images/news/MikeHolmes.jpg

NEWS RELEASE

ASSEMBLY OF
FIRST NATIONS

Building homes and building skills: Assembly of First Nations and the Holmes Group announce new partnership on First Nations housing and infrastructure

WINNIPEG - Assembly of First Nations National Chief, Shawn A-in-chut Atleo and Canada’s most trusted contractor Mike Holmes of Holmes on Homes and the Holmes Group, signed a statement of partnership yesterday at the AFN 31st Annual General Assembly.

The agreement establishes a new pilot project that aims to assist in building homes, enhance community design and planning and utilize appropriate green technologies and clean energy sources to improve health and living conditions in First Nations communities, as well as establishing a First Nation Centre of Excellence on green and sustainable community design.

“We are very excited to partner with Mike Holmes and the Holmes Group on this new initiative that will help to build homes, develop new skills and capacity, protect the environment and engineer better communities for First Nations people,” National Chief Atleo said. “Too many of our communities are struggling with rundown and substandard housing and community infrastructure. This creates a whole spectrum of related social problems, from poor health to poor performance in school and to poverty for too many of our people. Having the Holmes Group involved in this project is one step towards safer and healthier communities for our people and I commend Mike Holmes and his team for recognizing this and working with us.”

The AFN and the Holmes Group plan to select a First Nation community as a pilot project where they will assist in the retro-fit of existing housing units, the construction of new houses, community buildings and incorporate innovative and industry-leading green technologies and clean energy sources, integrated with the natural environment as well as First Nations concepts of family, health and traditions.

The pilot project will lead to the creation of a First Nation Community Planning Tool that can be used by all First Nations.

First Nations citizens will be involved in this work so the initiative will build skills and capacity as well as infrastructure.

“The neglect and poor conditions for housing found in many First Nations communities must be addressed immediately,” says Mike Holmes. “And for the future of our country we need to build real communities that not only serve the residents but also give back what they take from the land. Our development must take the example from the original stewards of this land whose culture is intimately connected to our natural environment and resources.”

The two parties have committed to establishing a First Nation Centre of Excellence on green and sustainable community design that will be under the leadership of the AFN.

The First Nation Centre of Excellence will provide guides to planning tools, models, best practices and design practices to any First Nation community in need.

The AFN and the Holmes Group will consider which First Nation community will be the site of the pilot project over the next month.

An announcement will be made once the community is selected.

The Assembly of First Nations is the national organization representing First Nations citizens in Canada.

Chris:

It is a good thing but…

in our area, people have been working with natives in the areas of energy efficiency and healthy homes since at least 1995. There was also advanced training for a few that already had good basic building training and experience. They were being trained to become internal building inspectors for on reserve projects.

I remember giving training at Schubenacadie, Membertou and Wagmatcook reserves on the above topics.

None of us went looking for press!

I just hope Mikey is not grandstanding again!! From what I can tell he only built one house in New Orleans with no lasting presence or organization to help build homes for the thousands of still displaced poorer former residents.

The Holmes Foundation is not a foundation in the true philanthropic sense as we have come to know many…He’s helping younger Canadians become skilled tradepersons… not a bad thing but not a lot of philanthropy is needed for this reason. We have a great country!

My fears:
Natives are in some cases finally getting big $$$$ (although slowly) in return for lands taken from them through broken treaties. Where $$$$ flow to, so do those seeking $$$$. Let’s hope he’s above this…but when someone charges $20,000 for a 1 day appearance, I question their morals…that includes former presidents and prime ministers!!!

Mikey’s all about making himself look good and that’s about all I got out of this article. He built one house in New Orleans. I can’t imagine all the people that that helped. How many people lived in that house ? 2 ? 4 ?

What will he do for the natives besides make himself look good again ?

Maybe he will teach them to fish and hunt :wink:

You guys make me smile. Of course he’s out to make himself look good that’s what pays his bills. PS… the man knows as much about construction as any of us here. He’s far from stupid. As for code remember it’s only a minimum and what might be code in the US may not be code in Canada. I personally don’t know just guessing. As for people watching the show they should understand it’s TV not reality. Unlimited budgets do not exist for the common folk. As for home inspections do like RR does and manage the clients expectations. My clients completely understand before I ever start I don’t have the power to see behind walls and I won’t be tearing anybody’s home apart anytime soon.

Per my agreement:

Similarly, and in accordance with INACHI standards, STL Home Inspection Services does not evaluate or endorse any components that are not visually accessible. These include, significant portions of most chimney flues, the interior of furnace heat exchangers, air-conditioning coils, subterranean or concealed ducts, pipes, conduit, and those within walls, floors, or ceilings, the slab beneath carpets, the waterproof membrane beneath roofs, balconies, or shower pans, and any component concealed by furnishings.

For the complete version visit: http://www.stlhomeinspector.com

Billy that is what ignorant people don’t see !

I have on more than 1 occasion had to explain that to my client.

People are so gullible .

I was watching one of his shows and they walked with the camera on . I saw an Amalgamated Panel over fused stairs with no hand rail and dryer vent with white plastic pipe ( that is not approved for dryers in Canada ) ( Fire hazard ) ( it also has much restriction that it take 20% longer to dry your clothes .
This was only about 5 seconds .
Any experienced H.I. would see these and there was no mention of this on his program.

Saw Mike’s show…once! Saw Mike’s new inspection show…once! I don’t need to see anymore. Nuttin but a publicity whore.

Brian,

Ask Nick about my idea for NACHI.TV where I spoof Mr. Holmes.

Oh, if he’d ONLY let me do it.:mrgreen:

It would go viral in about 5 minutes.

Little Mikey has become a brand and makes $$$$$. Nick will never let you do it as he’s trying to figure out how he can hitch his horse to Mikey’s wagon and make some $$$$$ also. He doesn’t want to screw that possible opportunity before it may have a chance to happen!!! PITY!!!

Sounds like you don’t need INACHI to survive as you have $$$$ interests other than HI…do it on your own!!!

Little Mikey’s “Quote of the Night”…

After he’s ripped almost all the drywall walls and ceiling out in the basement so that all the bad electrical, etc can be seen:

"How could a home inspector not imagine this??"

Imagine that Mikey, HI’s cannot see through walls. Like we should be able to see stuff behind walls that you only finds when they’re ripped them out!!! The more I watch the more of a joke he is!!!

Great idea for a program…wrong guy!!

Sorry, I forgot my X-ray vision glasses!

But Mike Holmes has X-RAY vision! He can see all the way to the bank!

G

Just because Jim Caruk says the obvious, i.e., that there’s two sides to every story, this does not mean that what Mr. Holmes does on TV is wrong. My guess here is the same I see with my cats: jealousy. I think some people here are just green with eny at Mr. Holmes success and made it their mission to bring him down, even it is at us grateful homeowners’ expense.

Thanks for your post’s Andre Michael .
I get the strange feeling you work for Mike Homes .
You make 7 posts telling us how great he is and how we are all wrong .
Many of us have seen mike’s programs and can see how he does not do a proper Home Inspection .
I would like to see a blind test Between Mr. Homes and me and see who does the better inspection .
Of Course how about we get Market Place to be the independent referee .
Please ask your boss when we can do this as I am 76 years old and would love to do this before I die .

Thanks . Roy Cooke

my info is at the bottom of this post

OK I’ll admit Mr. Holmes has his draw backs. And yes his home inspecting show can be misleading to consumers. But in the beginning he does a Home inspection (visual and non-invasive). Then a few minutes in he states that he is “going beyond a home inspection and doing a Holmes inspection” (Likely this is a disclaimer so that inspectors can’t take him to court for going way beyond what is allowed. Sadly most views won’t catch that, and expect that to be the normal. In Alberta where I am, Mike Holes was a driving force to help create a central certification process for inspectors, which sadly didn’t exist a few years ago, and as such any random Joe could claim to be an inspector prior.

Also yes he is a big media name, and likely isn’t as in touch with his roots as he once was, so he is bound to make mistakes, as he is probably so damn busy he can’t research products himself any more, HGTV probably hired a crew of consultants that TELL him what is best. So that sadly is a downside of him becoming such a public figure.

Overall I think he has the right goal of keeping the clients needs a priority, and “Making it right”. So, I say take him with a grain of salt. He makes headaches for inspectors, but in many ways he has fast-tracked better accountability, and consumer protection in the field too.

Video on Mr Holmes already done. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwPC-YBHMI4.

Loved it
%between%

Bruce, that video was great. thanks