Mini Split heat pump - best description

Hi everyone , this is most likely easier than I am making it out BUT what would be the best way to write up the damaged fins to a client for adequate understanding, without too much overwording.

Thanks

“The heat pump compressor fins are damaged which can restrict the warm/cool airflow to and from the compressor. Would recommend further evaluation by a licensed HVAC technician as to repair or replacement if warranted.”

3 Likes

brilliant, thanks Thomas.

I had something very similar written but wasnt sure if it was enough to satisfy.

maybe you can offer your input on this as well

thanks @tglaze

Sorry Thomas, but IMO, that description is incorrect and could be a gateway to trouble!

“The condensor tubing fins on the AC Condensing Unit are damaged…”

2 Likes

Well, the “fins” part was there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Left for the HVAC technician to decide is it not? We see, we observe and call for for further evaluation. The only trouble I see is Uncle Bob saying “that’s fine, no problem”… and then it is. But not on my end. If any client paid extra to have an HVAC tech come out and say, based on those pictures, that I was totally off base on my recommendation of further evaluation, I’ll be glad to pay for that HVAC inspect.

Old thread…

He’s referring to this, Thomas. :slight_smile:

Well, it’s difficult to explain to most clients, although I try to in simple terms, the difference between heat pumps and solely AC compressor units and their internal structure. Either way, damage fins (and or tubes) to either component should be set up for further evaluation. Disagree?

Observation: HVAC.
1: Ductless mini-split air source heat pump. A: List MN & SN
2: Condenser Cabinet not secured to the base.
3: Copper tube and heat exchanger assembly not vertically aligned in the metal cabinet. Suspect: High impact damage.
4: Damaged heat exchanger fins.
Recommend: Further review, analyses and repairs by a licensed HVAC contractor.

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Rereading your post, I see I should have stated “tubing” . Still don’t think it’s going cause me any trouble :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Probably not! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Robert , well observed and noted :ok_hand:t2::blush: much appreciated to everyone for their input and responses.

3 Likes

No, no, no!
The problem is the word “Compressor”.
The compressor does not have ‘fins’.
The ‘tubes with fins’ are known as the “Condensor”, aka. ‘The Condensing Unit’.
A client will NEVER understand what you are talking about if you use incorrect terms for the components. Hell, Many HVAC techs won’t either!! (Good example why tradesmen say that inspectors don’t know what the hell we’re talkin’ about)!

2 Likes

1 Like

The condenser appears to be suffering from deferred maintenance. Fins were bent. This can reduce efficiency or can be detrimental to the compressor. Recommend cleaning and straightening of fins, as needed.

1 Like

My pleasure, Evan.

‘Take your time’… looking at components. Mr. Cyr explained, “consider how something is made.”

‘Less is more.’ Simple straightforward narratives. List up to 4 and move along.

1 Like

It’s not technically a condenser, that would be on straight AC. Since this is a heat-pump, the outdoor unit is an “outdoor coil” or just “outdoor unit” :slight_smile: because it acts as either the condenser or evaporator of the system depending on the operating mode (cooling/heating). When HVAC guy shows up, he’ll respect you more :wink:

2 Likes

Regardless… it’s a hell of a lot closer to, and technically is (even if only part-time), a condenser than it is a compressor!

I’ll let Junior sort it out :smiley: