MO WDI Commercial Applicator License

My question is that in Missouri, the statures state that you have to have a Commercial Applicators license to do WDI for Real Estate transactions. Can you end up becoming your own CA or do you have to be under a Pesticide Applicator company. I was unclear because some home inspectors seem to fill in the NPMA33 form but arent under direct supervision of a CA type company that is implied in the language below. ANy clarity from MO inspectors is appreciated. Steve

According to Missouri Law I found:

MO Stature 281.116. Any person performing inspections for evidence of wood-destroying insects at the request of the buyer, seller or lending institution for real estate transactions shall have in effect a valid Missouri certified commercial applicator’s license, pesticide technician’s license working under the direct supervision of a certified commercial applicator, certified noncommercial applicator’s license or a certified public operator’s license in subcategory 7b-termite pest control issued pursuant to chapter 281.
(L. 2001 H.B. 567 § 324.530)

Most Missouri HI’s do not to termite inspections for this reason, if you live in Missouri. If you live in Kansas, you need to get a 7A Certification, then you can do termite inspections in other states that have reciprocal agreements, such as Missouri. You will need to study, take classes and tests, just like getting any other license. Contact them in Jeff City. These laws change often.

Thanks Gary, I sent PM with a couple of clarifications. Also do you have a good link to the 7A certification requirements and Jeff City contact?



JUST FYI FOR ANYONE> HERE IS THE MISSOURI FORMAL RESPONSE FROM DEPT OF AGRI. Note they said if you reside in KS then get KS 7A and get reciprocal MO 7B. But if you live in MO, then you need to get 7B MO and get reciprocal 7B for doing work in KS.

Thank you for contacting the Missouri Department of Agriculture. To perform termite inspections as a home inspector, you will need to obtain a noncommercial pesticide license from this department in category 7B – Termite Pest Control. To obtain this license, you will need to take two pesticide exams, the CORE exam and the category 7B – Termite Pest Control exam. Each exam consists of 50 questions, a combination of multiple choice and true/false. You must score at least a 70 percent to pass, you can miss up to 15 questions (per exam).

Before the exams, you will need to study some University of Missouri publications (category manuals) which can be obtained online at or by calling 1-800-292-0969. You will need to study:
MX 328 – Applying Pesticides Correctly
M96 – Wood Destroying Pest Management

You will also want to study the Missouri Pesticide Use Act before the exams. A printable PDF can be found on the web at: There will be questions on each exam pertaining to our pesticide law.

Please review the pesticide exam schedule at When you are ready to take the exams, send an email to or call 573-751-5509 to register.

Please complete the attached application and bring it with you to the exam site. There is no cost to take the exams. Once you pass, we will ask you to submit a $25 license fee made payable to the Missouri Department of Agriculture.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact this office.

Best regards,

Melissa May
Certification Program Coordinator
Bureau of Pesticide Control
Missouri Department of Agriculture
PO Box 630, Jefferson City, MO 65102
573-522-1637/ 573-751-0005 (fax)