PA termite certification

I seem to be having difficulty getting a straight answer about the PA requirements for being able to write a termite certification. Is the home inspection certification enough, or do I actually have to have a PA extermnator’s license to write certs? I did write termite certifications in the past, as an exterminator, had a PA pest licsense, but let it expire after getting out of that business. Isn’t the Pa license really for application purposes?

1 Like

You need an applicators license to do the inspections and report.

I have a buddy who does mine.


It it not mentioned anywhere in the PA Dept. of Agriculture information that you need to be a licensed pesticide applicator in order to complete an WDI inspection in the Commonwealth of PA. Anyone can conduct a WDI inspection because there is no certification or license set aside for that specific task. The misconception that you need to be a licensed PCO in PA in order to do a WDI inspection comes from HUD/FHA several years ago when they sent out a memo to all offices under their control. The memo basically stated that HUD/FHA will not accept WDI inspections performed by anyone other than a state licensed PCO with a valid certification and pesticide applicator’s business license listed on the NPMA 33 form. This triggered home inspectors to take the course required to get certified and pay the required fees in order to become listed as a pesticide applicator. The problem with this is that the PA DoAg requires that you have a specific amount of insurance that covers application of pesticides. Our E&O providers typically do not cover us for this which puts us at a Catch 22. The way that insurance companies have worked around it is that they will cover you for the license requirements as long as you sign an affidavit stating that you will not engage in the application of pesticides.


Great information. Thank you.

I was curious to know how you made out with the Termite inspection issue…

Scott is correct.


On all accounts?

Everything I see says I have to be licensed as an applicator.


So by my reading of this thread and elsewhere, the pest inspection course here should be sufficient. For my peace of mind I will do more research but in the meantime, here is a bit more info that may provide clarity for others researching this issue:

PA does not license Pest Inspectors. In some cases banks or other loan underwriting institutions may require a pest inspection as a contingency for a loan. In these cases the bank or other financial institution may require a pesticide applicator license for anyone conducting the pest inspection.

Morning everyone!

I am hoping to revive this old discussion to add what I had found through my research. Half of this is what Scott and others already mentioned but I still included it.

I just got off the phone with HUD, who stated that the term “qualified pest control specialist” in the HUD 4000.1 handbook does not have any specific definition or list of who would fall under this category. They stated that the determination of who a “qualified pest control specialist” is, is up to the state. I mentioned the bulletin/memo from a while back, and they stated that bulletin is no longer active, therefore not valid. I have an email from someone at PA Dept of Ag stating that the state does not currently have a requirement stating home inspectors who complete termite/WDI inspections are required to be licensed pesticide applicators and that the determination is up to the bank/lender. I called Northwest, PNC, Pennian, First National, PSECU, BB&T, M&T, and Quicken. None of these lenders currently require termite/WDI inspections (for FHA, VA, or otherwise) to be completed by a state licensed pesticide applicator. In fact several said they do not require termite inspections for FHA/VA most times, and that they only do require it if the appraiser notes termite/WDI infestation or signs in their report. When asked who must complete that inspection if required, they stated that is up to HUD and/or the state.

By this information, any CPI should be able complete an NPMA form and it should be acceptable. Unless of course the lender states that it must be done by a state licensed pesticide applicator, but based off of my 3.5 hours on the phone today and yesterday it seems like those lenders are far and few in between.

Now, the cost of becoming a state licensed pesticide applicator is not terrible. The wait time to take the exam is a pain, but overall the whole process isn’t bad. In my opinion it is worth it, especially to not have to explain myself to realtors as to why I can complete the NPMA forms even though I am not a state licensed pesticide applicator.

I researched this topic out of interest so hopefully it helps anyone that finds this thread in the future.

1 Like

Welcome to our forum, Ian!..enjoy participating. :smiley:

1 Like