Moisture Meter suggestions??

Originally Posted By: bburdick
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

HI,

I’m in the market for a moisture meter

I see price ranging from $30…00 to $400.00.

What’s the scoops on quality vs price??

Thanks in advance

Bernie

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I recently purchased a Wagner MMC 220 for just under $300.00.

I asked this same question and was basically told any moisture meter is better than no moisture meter. However, you get what you pay for. The most popular products seem to be the Protimeter Delmhorst and Tramax.
I personally like the non pip type as they require you to put two small pin holes in the area being tested. I can imagine a home owner seeing me do this and raising a big stink about it.

Another thing to consider when using a moisture meter is the potential of liability. If you test one area you may be asked why you didn't test every area. say in case the buyer latter finds a leak or something that you didn't see evidence of.

As with any tool, make sure you really know how to use it before using it.

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: bsmith

I use a pin-type meter and like it alot. 90% of the wood I’m testing for moisture is unfinished so two small holes are insignificant. If the wood is painted and has considerable moisture content the paint will be either peeling or blistered - again no problem with the tiny holes.

Bill

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Bernard,

I prefer the Delmhorst BD-2100 meter. It?s very dependable and the 9-volt battery life last me six months.
![](upload://z4obVy456qzkxN2aThyySm6Ebr5.jpeg)CLICK HERE TO ORDER
I?ve never had a problem with seller?s complaining about the tiny pinholes that are left behind. They are not noticeable. You almost need a magnifying glass to see those pin holes that are left behind. If you?re really concerned about the minute damage, all you need to do is touch the moist surface without puncturing it and you?ll still get a true reading.

As far as those non-invasive meters, they're in the 4 to $500.00 range.

IMBO... It?s not worth the investment, unless of course you make the big bucks.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Tramex is the best. You can run the meter under windows, under doorways or whatever. No need for pins. The pins are for isolated areas. It’s a lot easier to run the meter along areas. No other way to go. IMHO

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: dplummer

The non-invasive meters are a good all around meter. I have a Delmhorst BD-8 pin type moisture probe. It comes with 6" pins if you want to go through the drywall & check the insulation,etc. Doug

Originally Posted By: Zhenya Ren

Their moisture meters are rather expensive, though of a great accurancy. And they provide both on-line and at-line devices.

http://www.idcexpertise.com

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Don’t forget our 10% discount to NACHI members.

http://www.homeinspectorstore.com/products.php?cat=27

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

Hi Bernard,

I recently purchased the Mini Ligno S @98.55 from the Tyler Tool Company, you can find them here. http://store.yahoo.com/tylertool/ligminsmosme.html

BTW does anyone have any opinion how these compare to the higher priced units, I would like to know what I am missing if possible. Thanks in advance.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: Guest

I’m not sure how the less expensive meters/detectors compare to the higher end units. I bought the Survey Master because it was priced at the top of the range that I could justify and I’m not a moisture meter expert so I was forced to believe that there’s a difference related to price. Experience has taught me to always buy the very best I can afford.

I grow blueberries and have to monitor soil pH ..they like it around 4.5
The meter I used to test before planting indicated that no ammendments were necessary. It was a 30 dollar unit. After losing 6,000 dollars worth of blueberries I bought a more expensive unit and found that the pH was 7 not 5 like I had previously believed. For things that I can not directly observe and must rely on a tool or instrument to be eyes, I have to trust the tool.