Moisture meter

Has anybody ever used the General Tools MM80G moisture meter. JLC construction book had a link and it looks pretty nice, and reasonable price.


Never heard of them. Basically a moisture meter is just that. Does not require it to cost an arm and leg to detect moisture. How wet does drywall or wood have to be to register moisture…answer is very little. I am curious why it takes them a month or two to ship it out to you though.

Inspector Outlet has these moisture meters in stock and can ship today. I can secretly get them for InterNACHI members for $300.

I like cheap & good, home inspectors are generalists… here is another general moisture meter.

Lignomat Moisture Meter, Mini Ligno S/D for Wood, Sheetrock and other Building Materials

So what would be the best suggestion when choosing a moisture meter> Pin meters, or not? I am currently using a pin meter, but am curious about the non-invasive type.


Get yourself a Protimeter Surveymaster dual mode moisture meter. It can take both invasive (pins) and non-invasive (pin-less) moisture readings. I have had mine for about 3 years now and have had no issues. There not cheap, but as I am sure you already know, you get what you pay for.

A good moisture meter is like a good inspector - you get what you pay for. I have 3.

Do yourself a favor, keep it cheap, you’ll thank me later. :wink:

I agree with Joe. I have cheap, expensive and very expensive. They all do exactly the same thing…measure moisture. The cheapo costed me about 30 dollars almost 16 yrs ago, still works perfectly (pin type) the Delmhorst cost over $300 and a side by side comparison on the same spot, both registered exactly alike as to moisture content. One is analog the other is digital. Actually the analog (el cheapo) make a greater visual (photo) impact because the meter scale shows up as green (ok) yellow (monitor) and bright red (Danger Will Robinson) there are also a moisture percentage markings on the scale if you want to really go out on a limb and get technically exhaustive. The el cheapo can read the normal moisture on my finger. How accurate do you think you need to be to say “You have a moisture issue here.” We are home inspectors. Drywall and wood as well as other home components are suppose to be dry, any amount of moisture should be noted but we do not need to be hung up on how much. Wet is wet, any amount is too much. Unless you are doing EIFS, flooring inspections as an ancillary inspection for a manufacturer for warranty work, all you need is a simple moisture meter.

My really expensive meter is a Tramex, Wet wall. Hardly ever use it and wish I had my money back since I rarely do any EIFS (for that you need to get trained and certified) anymore. That may change in the future with FL completely screwing up Home Inspections but that remains to be seen. Put your money in a really good ladder,software or website.

Thanks all. I try to make sure I always have at least 2 with me, just incase one decides not to work that day. Am going to try a non-invasive one for a change just to compare.

I always have 2 on hand… and I will check an area and recheck with the other unit. never trust them.

I use the TRAMEX ENCOUNTER. $ 400 Very nice unit. I don’t like cheap tools.



I’ve had my Tramex moisture meter (350.00 here) for 7 years and have never had a problem with it. If it breaks I will buy another one.

What are the advantages/disadvantages to non-invasive vs the pin type. I have inspected homes that were previously inspected by individuals who obviously used a pin type meter and you can see 2 little pin holes in the drywall. If I were the seller, I would not be pleased.

3 inspectors?