moisture meters

Originally Posted By: kbliss
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I`m looking to buy a moisture meter and would like some feedback on what is good and bad. Looking for some thing in the middle range for price.

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Kurt, I have a “delmhorst J-lite” which is the bottom end of their pin style meters, it is perfectly OK on most surfaces and is relatively inexpensive. However if you are looking for something to detect moisture in EIFS you will need some thing much better.

To be honest I want to upgrade to a Protimeter SM (survey master) but they are a little pricey.

Regards

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: kbliss

Gerry,

Excuse my ignorance but do the pin type moisture meters damage the material?

Kurt Bliss

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Kurt,

I also have a Delmhorst (made right here in NJ) . It will leave two pinhole size holes in the material. I have never had anyone object to the holes. Usually I am testing a stained ceiling that will have to be repainted anyway. I look at it the point of view that I now have proof (the holes) that I actually tested the area in question, and didn't just give it the back of the hand test.

I also have a no pins electronic moisture meter, but I usually rely on the older style. I have had the Delmhorst for fifteen years. Years ago I inspected a house for one of the owners of Delmhorst.

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

I use a Tramex moisture encounter. No pins, non-intrusive, no damage. Works great.

Originally Posted By: jremas

OK, any other info on moisture meters? I am almost contemplating buying one for real this time. Not for EIFS use, just regular useage with drywall, masonry & wood.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Jeff, I would suggest just the basic pin type, but would go for a model with optional probes for those hard to reach spots. I don’t think it matters whether it has analogue or digital read-out.

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Robert Alexander

Well, as with anything, I believe you get what you pay for. I SAVED my money and bought what I feel is the best bang for the buck in a moisture meter.

The Protimeter Surveymaster - uses Radio frequency for non-intrusive testing and has small probes as well. About $450, but since moisture intrusion is probably the biggest liability and most common problem I run into with homes - well worth the price tag. The Tramex units are great too.

Hope this helps!

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

kbliss wrote:
I`m looking to buy a moisture meter and would like some feedback on what is good and bad. Looking for some thing in the middle range for price.

Kurt Bliss

Hi Kurt,

When we (my husband and I work together) were researching moisture meters we found the Lignomat mini-scanner L (www.lignomat.com) for less than $200 us. We have been using it for about 3 years now and it has never let us down. Remember moisture meters in our industry are used not to find moisture but to confirm moisture that you already suspect. Use it as a tool not a crutch.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I have a Delmhorst pin type (and, yes, it does leave two small holes behind) and a Tramex non-intrusive one (those are the two I use the most often).

Being as you can't (okay, you CAN, but who has the time?) search and scan every square inch of any structure, your best moisture detector is you eyes, searching for signs and indications for why you should take out you moisture meter to use it.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

Anyone have any experience with Wagner moisture meters MMC 220?

I am curious as to what a typical drywall and plywood reading would be.

I also purchased a Greenlee CM-650 Clamp on Meter, I have to figure out how to use that as well.

Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.

–Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: bsarles

I have never used a moisture meter but have thought about buying one just in case.I think like the lady said dont use it like a crutch.If i see stains i write it up Buckled panling peeling paint ect .ect. I report what i see and trust my eyes and not something where a battery gets low and gives u a faulty reading.

Originally Posted By: Mike Boehmer

Just wondering - How about the use of a voltage and continuity tester?

Not sensitive enough?

Obvious visible stains indicate signs of water intrusion/penetraton or leaks.

--
AlamoMike

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

at our last meeting one inspector brought out his probeless meter…the thing was slick and sensitive…had no proble reading the moisture in my hand! he mostly uses it to check for leaks around toilets. I think he said he paid between $600-$800 for it.

Just a bit out of my budget though.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: aslimack

I use the Surveymaster. Think i paid about $475-$485. Its without question the most useful of the gadgets i have purchased. It’s excellent at determining whether leaks are active/inactive. Lot of capes in my area ,and they are helpful in determining the extent of icedamming into the the outside walls as well.(in the winter) Also very good at determining whether plumbing leaks are active. Gotta watch for the false positives from metal though. Not difficult with practice and common sense. Common sense meaning locations where cornerbead,nails ect. are likely to be. Its great to be able to determine whether maybe the cause of an existing stain has been has been eliminated,(new roof) and only the resulting stain is left. The Surveymaster has the probe(which i almost never use) and the non-evasive,which i use on practically 2/3 of all my inspections,in one way or another.

Originally Posted By: jliberko

What is your opinion on the Mini Ligno moisture meter vs the Delmhorst J-Lite meter. I need to buy one of these in the next few weeks.

Originally Posted By: mrichardson

I use both delmhorst pin and pinless meters. I’m satisfied with both, but use the pinless model most.

Sometimes there are moisture problems that are not yet visible, and it may be difficult to convince the owner. By having both meters, using different sensing technology, I can point to replicated observations when needed to strengthen my case.

I'd guess that any or the major brands, used correctly, will do a fine job.

Mike