Mold Certification

I thought HI’s could do mold if it comes up at the time of the home inspection only?

I just told a customer this morning (with a level I issue) just do air sampling. Why waste the $$ on a surface swab?
Who cares if it’s Chinese, Japanese or Jewish mold.
It’s simply mold & it’s gotta go.

That’s the point I’m making, as a HI only you can not do air samples as the tested area is larger than 10sf…this is pretty simple stuff.

…if the affected area is less than 10sf, pretty much anyone can test for it. The point being, if it’s truely less than 10sf, just remove it and move on. The EPA and CDC DO NOT recommend testing below 35sf…they recommend spraying with solution of water and bleach (10% solution). I’ll come do it for $50, no sampling needed.

It’s not that your HI license grants you special privilege, it’s that anything below 10sf isn’t considered remediation or assessment.

Did you inform the client of this? I bet you didn’t…

Not “HI’s”…pretty much anyone as the exemption only applies to situations that are visibly less than 10sf.

Basically, less than 10sf isn’t considered an assessment and in the eyes of the law can be removed or sanitized by pretty much anyone.

Nick and the others are overstating their position as they are saying “home inspectors are exempt” when actually the declarative statement states anything less than 10sf isn’t considered an assessment and therefore the situation of being less than the described amount is exempt as a whole regardless of what license you do or do not have.

Air samples are not included as they sample more than 10sf.

Robert R Sheppard responding to my claim that “*Florida licensed home inspectors are exempt from complying with provisions related to mold assessment” *writes:

and

and

Robert… Yes they are!

After all this mold licensing went down, I wanted to protect my members and get them completely exempted from having to comply with the provisions in the law relating to mold assessment, so I quietly had it added into the middle of subsequent Florida Bill which passed.

Read lines 37-40: _h0849er

This is where you are dead wrong. I know my limitations you should learn yours.

I did not do the Home Inspection only the Wind Mit. Never looked at the damage. Have no idea what was there , she made her own decisions what is so hard for you to understand about this? stop being a dickweed.

What Nick said:

***468.841, F.S.; adding 38licensed home inspectors to those who are exempt from 39complying with provisions related to mold assessment; ***

What the current law says:

468.841 Exemptions.— (1) The following persons are not required to comply with any provisions of this part relating to mold assessment: (a) A residential property owner who performs mold assessment on his or her own property.
(b) A person who performs mold assessment on property owned or leased by the person, the person’s employer, or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership, or on property operated or managed by the person’s employer or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership. This exemption does not apply if the person, employer, or affiliated entity engages in the business of performing mold assessment for the public.
(c) An employee of a mold assessor while directly supervised by the mold assessor.
(d) Persons or business organizations acting within the scope of the respective licenses required under part XV of this chapter, chapter 471, part I or part II of chapter 481, chapter 482, or chapter 489, are acting on behalf of an insurer under part VI of chapter 626, or are persons in the manufactured housing industry who are licensed under chapter 320, except when any such persons or business organizations hold themselves out for hire to the public as a “certified mold assessor,” “registered mold assessor,” “licensed mold assessor,” “mold assessor,” “professional mold assessor,” or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure under this part.
(e) An authorized employee of the United States, this state, or any municipality, county, or other political subdivision, or public or private school and who is conducting mold assessment within the scope of that employment, as long as the employee does not hold out for hire to the general public or otherwise engage in mold assessment.

(2) The following persons are not required to comply with any provisions of this part relating to mold remediation: (a) A residential property owner who performs mold remediation on his or her own property.
(b) A person who performs mold remediation on property owned or leased by the person, the person’s employer, or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership, or on property operated or managed by the person’s employer or an entity affiliated with the person’s employer through common ownership. This exemption does not apply if the person, employer, or affiliated entity engages in the business of performing mold remediation for the public.
(c) An employee of a mold remediator while directly supervised by the mold remediator.
(d) Persons or business organizations that are acting within the scope of the respective licenses required under chapter 471, part I of chapter 481, chapter 482, chapter 489, or part XV of this chapter, are acting on behalf of an insurer under part VI of chapter 626, or are persons in the manufactured housing industry who are licensed under chapter 320, except when any such persons or business organizations hold themselves out for hire to the public as a “certified mold remediator,” “registered mold remediator,” “licensed mold remediator,” “mold remediator,” “professional mold remediator,” or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure under this part.
(e) An authorized employee of the United States, this state, or any municipality, county, or other political subdivision, or public or private school and who is conducting mold remediation within the scope of that employment, as long as the employee does not hold out for hire to the general public or otherwise engage in mold remediation.

History.—s. 3, ch. 2007-235; s. 25, ch. 2008-240; s. 11, ch. 2011-222; s. 63, ch. 2012-5; s. 6, ch. 2012-13; s. 7, ch. 2012-61.

FYI: that bill failed in 2011…

Now there’s the Wayne I know…:mrgreen:

You’re lying to your memebership nick…that bill never passed as written and was never adopted into the statutes.

Jeff Hooper and I were just conversing about this and you are lying AGAIN!

That bill you posted NEVER passed as written, that’s why the exemption isn’t writen into the law. Gerry B was never involved, it was Mark Cramer that got the exemption through declaratory statement, and Mark was ASHI not internacho…yet ANOTHER lie.

Can we have any proof of your claims? Any?

The exemption passed, but it was never added to the list of exempted parties in the published statute.

And as for the 10 square foot rule… it was initially proposed by InterNACHI’s Education Chair Gerry Beaumont during the first push for licensing that failed, then later adopted when licensing passed, then later upheld by DBPR declaration.

Either way… licensed home inspectors can offer mold testing in Florida and have been for years. I know of no action taken against a home inspector for doing mold testing and we’ve done zillions of mold tests in FL.

The statute is listed with ALL exemptions above…and it never passed as listed and as you stated yourself. You were caught lying!

AGAIN, for the forth time, do you have a statute reference listing home inspectors as expemt from the mold assessment law?

FYI: a BILL is not a LAW…you should know this. What you posted was just one of the proposed versions and not the one that was signed into law.

Next…

This straw-man argument does not hold water in regards to home inspectors performing mold inspections for home buyers in Florida…

I have been performing mold inspections for home-buyers in the greater Tampa Bay area since 2003 and currently hold both a Home Inspector license and a Mold license.

In all of the thousands of home inspections I conducted there was never a time where a home buyer actually purchased a home which tested positive for mold. Furthermore, if by chance the home buyer (my customer) was interested in purchasing the home, he would not have any responsibility connected with the clean up protocol, that defect due to insurance regulations would need to be corrected by the sellers.

The reality is that home buyers want to purchase homes which are not contaminated with mold and don’t need the same level of biological expertise and reporting as would an owner. Home inspectors with the proper training are providing a very valuable service to home buyers who are seeking a generalist mold evaluation of a prospective property.

In conclusion, I think you should peddle your biased and incorrect advice somewhere else.

I admit that I don’t know why the licensed home inspector exemption nor the exemption that allows home inspectors doing tests on mold that is less than 10 square foot are not published in the statute that lists those who are exempted from needing an assessor’s license. Maybe you know, I admit that I don’t.

But if you call the DBPR they’ll tell you that licensed home inspectors can do mold testing without an assessor’s license. Furthermore, we’ve done zillions of mold tests and I know of no action taken against a home inspector for offering mold testing services. So however it came to be that home inspectors can offer mold testing… I’m OK with. All’s well that ends well.

There you go again, stating “home inspectors” can do mold testing and sampling when in actuality under the 10sf rule ANYONE can…it’s not home inspectors becuase of your licensure, it’s that 10sf is essentially a clean-up on isle 10 and not a remediation or assessment per the law.

You also changed your position as you stated hi’s could do mold assessment and now you are saying mold testing…

I have never, to my knowledge, said home inspectors can do mold assessment. I answer this question regularly and always tell my members that they can only do testing. They can’t write protocol, clear a home, or even use the words assessment or assessor.

If I said that and you can post the thread URL and post # for me where I misspoke, I would be grateful so that I can edit it. I certainly don’t recall stating that home inspectors can do mold assessment work. That’s Bill Siegel who says the services are the same and that the consumer is paying twice for the same services. He made that claim again in this thread. That was certainly not me.

My position has always been that a licensed home inspector does not need a mold assessors license to offer mold testing.

I have many reasons for feeling my position is sound: The exemption, the 10 square foot rule, phone calls to the DBPR, the Declaration from the DBPR, the fact that no home inspector has ever had any action taken for offering mold testing, the E&O insurance companies who provide coverage to home inspectors for mold, the mold laboratories who sell to home inspectors in Florida, the real estate industry who accepts mold tests performed by home inspectors, InterNACHI’s mold courses which are approved by the DBPR for home inspdctor CE, etc. I can go on an on, but I think my position is supported.

You mean this?

“home inspectors” are not exempt from complying with the provisions related to mold assessment…if it’s less than 10sf, it doesn’t require mold assessment or remediation…EVERYONE IS EXEMPT as it’s not a remedition or assessment. If it is larger than 10sf, it requires assessment and/or remediation per the law…

How wrong could you be?

Do you have a specific statute cite or written decree verifying your claims?

No!

Have a good day.

Yes. That doesn’t mean home inspectors can offer mold assessment services. It means we (home inspectors) don’t have to be mold assessors. Mold assessors have to be licensed mold assessors.

We home inspectors can offer what home inspectors can offer… mold testing services, without a mold assessor’s license.