More important info on Mold!!

Originally Posted By: rbracklow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Here is some very interesting legal stipulations concerning Mold that we ALL need to be aware of. It appears that Mold is becoming a more litigious item than ever thought before.

For your own safety read this article.

Toxic Mold Is Toxic To Builders

Mold claims are on the rise, lawsuits are being filed, and insurance companies are being forced to pay for damages. Black mold claims were a joke 10 years ago that no one took seriously. Millions and millions of dollars later, no one is laughing today.

Read the Full Story At:

http://realtytimes.com/rtnews/rtcpages/20040304_toxicmold.htm

Ron.

Originally Posted By: dhartke

Ron,

Thanks for the enlightenment. I'm still setting on the fence. As an HI should I jump into a greater demand for mold testing or stay away because of litigation involvement and there isn't an officially set safe level standard?

What do you think?

Dave

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I think HIs should stay away.

I don't care what 'courses' an HIs has taken for 'Mold Certification', that does not cut it.

Leave that to the IHs (Industrial Hygienists) and the Microbiologists. They typically don't claim to be "Certified Mold Inspectors" because they don't have to, they are the real thing.

Just my opinion, worth about 1 cent at the current exchange rates.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Jerry,

Finally... something we agree on!

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Well, here are my thoughts!

I have been doing mold SAMPLING for the past few years without a problem, and I certainly like the do$$ars that they bring in. On the average of $150.00. The Lab testing by EMSL Labs charges me $35.00 per test, they process the results within 48 hours and they provide the swabs.

Basically, all I do is take the swab or tape, take the mold sample place it in the provided container send it to the Lab and they fax me the results, which I then fax to the buyer/seller.

Quick and simple, no fuss no muss!!

Joe F. - Go to your room!!! ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

What say you??

Ron.

jfarsetta wrote:
Jerry,

Finally... something we agree on!

Hmmmm .... Joe,

Did you mean this? "Just my opinion, worth about 1 cent at the current exchange rates." ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

rbracklow wrote:
Basically, all I do is take the swab or tape, take the mold sample place it in the provided container send it to the Lab and they fax me the results, which I then fax to the buyer/seller.

Like I said in my post ... leave it to the IHs and MBs. They are the professionals.

HIs doing the Mold is Gold thing are just setting themselves up for ... what does it matter, they are not listening anyway.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Well Jerry,

I hate to tell you, but this is strictly your opinion, and I feel that you are scaring away a substantial business aspect.

Do me a favor, just because you disagree, doesn't mean that you have to be the doomsday machine.

Tell me what you think is wrong with my procedure, and why you feel that what I am doing is litigious??

Thank you for your time!! You also Joe, let me know why the negativeness??

Ron.

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Hi Ron! I too perform mold sampling & send it off to the lab for their analyses. I agree with your comments. I also feel strongly that this is a valuable service I perform for my customers who want it. I don’t scare my customers about mold, I just educate them with facts. DOUG

Originally Posted By: dacton

Ron,

Hi, I agree if guys do not want to get involved in Mold Sampling they should not discourage other HI's. I also do Mold Sampling at the same rate, I all so use EMSL and I think they are excellent great turn around time and like you said they supplly you with everything.

I am also taking a IAQ Seminar this Thursday at EMSL Lab in the NYC at no cost!!! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Donald A. Acton
Acton Property & Environmental Inspection Services
North Massapequa, New York

Originally Posted By: jmorrison

Ron Bracklow

B&B Property Services

Sir, you are providing a valuable service to your clients by offering to conduct mold inspection, testing and consultation.

The mold inspection and testing that you and other home inspectors provide is generally not accomplished by CIH's, industrial hygienists or safety professionals.

The lab that performs the analysis of your mold samples is however staffed by CIH's, industrial hygienists and safety professionals.

Most home inspectors are just as qualified to take the samples as any industrial hygienist technician.

So my point is that the CIH's and industrial hygienists are involved in your testing process by performing the analysis of your samples. Most CIH's and industrial hygienists do not perform testing or remediation services. The CIH's and industrial hygienists are the brains behind the mold analysis and protocol developement for remediation.

In my opinion you and other home inspectors who perform mold inspections, testing and provide consultation regarding mold are working in the best interest of your clients.

Many home inspectors shy away from mold for all the wrong reasons. The mold industry needs qualified inspectors just like you and I. Any home inspector who has the basic training can successfully perform mold inspections and testing thus adding to their services and increasing their financial income.

Keep up the good work.

Good luck to you in the future. I am always available if you require any assistance.

Jimmy Morison

--
www.mainspect.com

Hey Jim,

Who is going to indemnify these guys when it is discovered by the client's attorney that they are not qualified, and that the analysis they provide (unless its strictly for mold identification purposes) is not based upon any recognized standards as determined by either the EPA or CDC?

Will YOU indemnify these guys? Will their E&O carrier? Stop stating that they are providing a valuable service. They are exposing themselves to serious lawsuits, which they are likely not covered for in their policies.

And THAT is the unfortunate truth

--
Joe Farsetta

Anyone who is not comfortable with mold issues or who is worried about litigation should stay out of the business. Home inspectors are just as susceptible to litigation if they do not have or maintain their training efforts.

Many professional mold inspectors are also home inspectors. They have attended adeqaute training and are providing professional mold services that are consistent with EPA & New York City guidlines. They also belong to national and local mold organizations and strive to promote the industry.

Mold inspector and/or testing insurance is available to those inspectors who wish to carry such a policy. The only mold service that is not insurable is remediation.

Any inspector who decides to enter the mold field can be successful if they obtain adequate training and provide their services consistent with established guidelines. Both the home inspection and mold industy's are risky business for the uninformed.

--
www.mainspect.com

deleted

Joe Farsetta

From an earlier post above:
jmorrison wrote:
Many home inspectors shy away from mold for all the wrong reasons.

Many, if not most, home inspectors do mold for all the wrong reasons. (Hint: Mold is Gold)

jmorrison wrote:
If a person is not adequately trained then they should not be performing these types of services. I know many mold inspectors who are trained professionals as well as home inspectors and none of them have encountered these lawsuits you are worried about.

Only those inspectors who are not adequately trained are putting theselves at risk.

You said the magic words twice: "not adequately trained"

Please define and explain the opposite of "not adequately trained" (i.e., "adequately trained").

Please give nationally recognized and nationally established standards and protocols for testing (that must be established before one can be "adequately trained" to those standards).

Then give nationally recognized and nationally established training guidelines and requirements for becoming "adequately trained".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Joe Farsetta

Advanced Professional Services Group, Inc.

Sounds like you know it all!

--
www.mainspect.com

No, Jim, I dont…

But I can smell a biased opinion a mile away... if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

And, at least I dont think I'm something I'm not. I dont sell mold training. I dont sell the virtues of mold sampling. I encourage all fellow inspectors to be careful and absolutely deliberate, based upon fact and the current state of the "mold testing" industry. I dont play on folks fears, nor do I count on it to make a living.

--
Joe Farsetta

You have no idea what information is provided in my training seminars.

Sounds like you just want to bash anyone who does not do things the way you think they should be done or who disagrees with you.

Good luck to you.

--
www.mainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Mold Testing. Yes or No is really not the issue.

I believe that every Inspector should avail themselves of the opportunity to obtain some level of training thru Hometest, EMSL, ESA, Jimmy Morrison, etc... Most of the training Programs are recognized CEU's thru NACHI, ASHI & NAHI.

Education in Mold testing is a valuable tool that will assist you in conducting a Home Inspection whether you are doing Mold inspections or not.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

From previous post above:
jmorrison wrote:
Many home inspectors shy away from mold for all the wrong reasons.

And most home inspectors who do mold, do it for all the wrong reasons. (Hint: Mold is Gold)

jmorrison wrote:
If a person is not adequately trained then they should not be performing these types of services.
snip
Only those inspectors who are not adequately trained are putting theselves at risk.
snip
Many professional mold inspectors are also home inspectors. They have attended adeqaute training and are providing professional mold services that are consistent with EPA & New York City guidlines. They also belong to national and local mold organizations and strive to promote the industry.
snip
Any inspector who decides to enter the mold field can be successful if they obtain adequate training and provide their services consistent with established guidelines.

Please explain the opposite of "not adequately trained" (i.e., "adequately trained"). You used that phrase several times above.

This is from the EPA site,

~~~~~~~~

Ten Things You Should Know About Mold

1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.

2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mold growth is to control moisture.

3. If mold is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mold and eliminate sources of moisture.

4. Fix the source of the water problem or leak to prevent mold growth.

5. Reduce indoor humidity (to 30-60% ) to decrease mold growth by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.

6. Clean and dry any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth.

7. Clean mold off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are moldy, may need to be replaced.

8. Prevent condensation: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.

9. In areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem, do not install carpeting (i.e., by drinking fountains, by classroom sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).

10. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And this, which is one reason why Joe F. and I agree on something.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indoor Air Regulations and Mold
Standards or Threshold Limit Values (TLVs) for airborne concentrations of mold, or mold spores, have not been set. Currently, there are no EPA regulations or standards for airborne mold contaminants

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so please explain your comment "They have attended adeqaute training and are providing professional mold services that are consistent with EPA & New York City guidlines"

Another thing that makes good reading is this, from the American Industrial Hygiene Association.

There are many, many more papers and positions like this out there.

Those who treat Mold as Gold will likely be in for a very rude awakening.

When? Don't know. For their sake, never.

My opinion? Yep. just like promoting mold it your opinion.

However, I believe the EPA is not aligned with your thinking. Someday, maybe, but not now and not today. Neither is the American Industrial Hygiene Association.
http://www.aiha.org/GovernmentAffairs-PR/documents/ga-texas-mold-comments.pdf

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida