MOLD

Originally Posted By: Chris Norman
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi Folks,

There has been a lot of discussion on this message board as well as in the media about mold. I would like to learn as much as I can.

Is there any way to be a "Certified Mold Inspector?" Is mold a real issue? Can I get the proper training to offer this service and where?

I live in "Ka Lee Four Knee A"

Thanks,
Chris

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Chris; If you’ve read the other mold threads you know that this can be a hotly debated topic. I will not try to persuade you one way or the other. I will try to answer your questions based on my experience. By the way I live in Canada-the cold part. Mold sampling is a valuable service to offer to your customers. Yes , there is a number of companies offering mold training. Some of those answers can be found on the NACHI website. My advise is to get all the EDUCATION you can on this subject. Speak with your lawyer & insurer to make sure your a$$ is covered. Provide factual info to your customers & don’t scare them with hype. Be a professional. And above all have fun! DOUG

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dplummer wrote:
I will not try to persuade you one way or the other.
snip
Mold sampling is a valuable service to offer to your customers.

Doug,

Did I miss something?

Or did you just try to persuade him that mold testing is good?

As you stated, this is a hotly debated subject between HIs. Those who do for the money, and those who do not because they acknowledge that it is not needed and that there are no national standards for it. I am not trying to persuade him either. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: al

HEY Jerry do you do home inspections for free or do you do them for money,I dont do any inspection for free but if I did I wouldnt have time to chat with you guys

Originally Posted By: dvalley

CARRY ON…

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: rwills

Chris, There are those here that are involved with it and those who are not. I am not going to persuade you one way or the other however, I will say that you should do a lot of research then make your own decision. Some people think home inspections are a ripoff, others think radon testing is a ripoff, and still others think mold testing is a ripoff! Some apparently don’t want to offer services unless the government holds their hand and sets the rules first, others see what’s coming and accept the inevitable! At present though only one thing is for certain. As of right now, the only thing that exists here are strong opinions either for or against it. No one is right, no one is wrong!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

rwills wrote:
still others think mold testing is a ripoff! Some apparently don't want to offer services unless the government holds their hand and sets the rules first, others see what's coming and accept the inevitable!

And still others do things above and beyond the minimum SoP to protect their client, without being afraid it will get them into court.

They do not wait for the government to hold their hand and set the rules first. however, when it is stated 'mold testing is not necessary', they also listen and think before jumping.

They also consider what is inevitable, and realize that the more mold rip off people there are, the more the government will likely step in and actually set standards, not for mold, but for the mold testers. That is already being considered in several states.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry, How did I know there’d be a response so quickly? icon_rolleyes.gif Quote:“mold testing is not necessary”. By who’s standard ? yours? Who are YOU to tell clients NO, who are adamant about wanting testing no matter what the government says, but for their own piece of mind and desire to have it! You Just Don’t Get It Do You"? I doubt you’ll change anyones mind who’s doing it, and vice versa! Nor do I care if anyone does or doesn’t but people should be able to share info on things they offer without getting knocked for it. No matter how high and mighty you think you are by knocking people that offer this service does not make you right!!! Sure, the government will get involved, they always do! and we’ll just adjust to their rulings like everything else or quit if they make it unreasonable! But let’s just suppose that it becomes second hand nature with home inspectors and it affects their competition! Can’t wait to see how many jump aboard then!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

rwills wrote:
Jerry, How did I know there'd be a response so quickly? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) Quote:"mold testing is not necessary". By who's standard ? yours?

Quickly? I happen to be working on one computer and checking a couple of forums on another while I am loading programs in the first computer.

By who's standard, you ask? EPA

http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/preventionandcontrol.html

Testing or Sampling for Mold
Is sampling for mold needed? In most cases, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Since no EPA or other federal limits have been set for mold or mold spores, sampling cannot be used to check a building's compliance with federal mold standards. Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, and interpreting results. Sample analysis should follow analytical methods recommended by the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA), the American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH), or other professional organizations.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Chris:

I agree with Douglas to an extent.

Mold testing is a topic that will always be debated.

I personally believe and suggest that every inspector should receive Mold Training whether engaged in the Testing Business or not. The Education alone is Valuable to your Business.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

rwills wrote:
Jerry, How did I know there'd be a response so quickly?

You responded with the post this was from rather quickly yourself, yet, you have taken quite a long time from my posting the EPA information and have still not responded.

Cat got your tongue? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I’m staying FAR, FAR away from this one… icon_lol.gif

For me to be all talked out says something.

So, as a famous computer once said after nearly launching a nuclear attack on the then Soviet Union, in a movie from a while ago... "How about a nice game of Chess?"

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: Chris Norman

Thanks for your thoughts guys. As usual, never a dull moment on this subject or on this board! eusa_dance.gif

Since mold is such an issue and many consumers are frightened or misinformed, we as home inspectors ought to be educated wether we perform a mold inspection or not. It is a subject that constantly comes up in my little world of HI and I want to give educated answers and point the customer in the right direction even if I am not performing a "MOLD INSPECTION" for hire.

Thanks again for all your input and the squabbles are sure not necessary, we are all brothers and sisters here.

Chris

, if visible mold growth is present, sampling is unnecessary. Since no EPA or other federal limits have been set for mold or mold spores, sampling cannot be used to check a building’s compliance with federal mold standards" Why don’t you read all the words before you try to cut and paste little quips to suit your needs. “In most cases” as in not all! As far as the federal mold standards, you can bet they’re working on those, after all, there’s gold to be had, right? I’ve read all the EPA wrote on mold so don’t waste your time, I can cut and paste little quips all day to suit my needs too!

BTW Chris, I like to view it as debates and not squabbles. I have many happy customers and wouldn’t dream of ripping anyone off. If JP wants a debate that’s fine with me, I’ll debate until he’s blue in the face!

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

rwills wrote:
Why don't you read all the words before you try to cut and paste little quips to suit your needs.

This cut and paste is taken from the above.

"Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated. "

WHEN do you do your mold inspections?

AND do you meet this?

"Sampling for mold should be conducted by professionals who have specific experience in designing mold sampling protocols, sampling methods, and interpreting results."

I have been advised privately before that I cannot reach someone who is on the dark side, and that I should just sit back and relax. I shall do that (before they remind me that is the only option to retain my sanity).

Do your mold thing. However, be forewarned, when someone posts something about mold and says to the effect "I'm not going to try to convince you, but ... " and then goes on to try to convince them, I may be right there ... with the rest of the story (Paul Harvey).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

In addition, certain types of molds can produce toxins, called mycotoxins, that the mold uses to inhibit or prevent the growth of other organisms. Mycotoxins are found in both living and dead mold spores. materials permeated with mold need to be removed, even after they are disinfected with cleaning solutions. Allergic and toxic effects can remain in dead spores. Exposure to mycotoxins may present a greater hazard than that of allergenic or irritative molds. Mycotoxins have been found in homes, agricultural settings, food and office buildings.

Quote-Mold study at Univ. of Arizona:"Remaining fragments of dead mold can linger indoors long after the mold spores have been inactivated, and can be as harmful as live mold," said Kelly Reynolds, lead investigator for the study from the University of Arizona. "The study results confirm that denaturing the mold spores with a dilute chlorine bleach solution appears to be the most effective and efficient way to reduce mold allergen on hard surfaces."

All I see from those against sampling is "simple, you see mold, you stop the water problem and clean it up". Easier said than done!

Ex: A seller had a serious leak inside a finished basement wall. Eventually found the problem, cleaned and repainted the surfaces except for a small area in a corner. You spot it and lay on your number one statement" Simple, just clean it with bleach, problem solved, right?" seller is now trying to sell the home to a family with someone who has a highly allergic reaction to the type of dried mold spores accumulated in the insulation in an entire basement wall. An air sample from inside that wall would will show a VERY high concentration of spores. Wall is opened, insulation removed, area cleaned out and re-drywalled. Who do you think the buyers attorney will go after when this is discovered after you said " Just clean the surface, problem solved".

Quote from your post:"Surface sampling may be useful to determine if an area has been adequately cleaned or remediated." Let me guess, only by a CIH!

Quote:"WHEN do you do your mold inspections?" Actually, whenever I see a moisture condition or smell mold/mildew I do a mold inspection,
hopefully you do to!

One thing for certain Jerry, You don't get involved with it, so obviously have no experience other than what you read, however, you waste no time attacking anyone that does, without even knowing or caring what there experience is!

Quote:"I have been advised privately before that I cannot reach someone who is on the dark side". Huh? ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) Getting a little personal aren't we? "People that offer this service are from the "Dark Side"?

Sounds like you have more issues than just being against mold service!

Bob (Darkside) Wills
BW Inspection Services

Originally Posted By: al

You go Willis eusa_dance.gif

Originally Posted By: jpope

rwills wrote:
The study results confirm that denaturing the mold spores with a dilute chlorine bleach solution appears to be the most effective and efficient way to reduce mold allergen on hard surfaces.

Those of us in attendance at the South Bay Chapter meeting this weekend learned that this may not be true at all. Decontamination appears to be the most effective method albeit less recognized at this point.

More information on decontamination vs. remediation can be found at http://www.iaqm.com/about.html

In short, this company claims to "render harmless" the once toxic mold spores through their methods of decon', thus making remediation unnecessary.

"Bleaching" requires subsequent remediation as bleach itself is considered a harmful agent.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Hi Jeff; Glad to hear you were at a course on mold. However, I don’t think your quite right on your understanding of the use of bleach. Bleach use on HARD surfaces such as ceramic tile, painted concrete ,etc will act as accepted killer of mold without requiring the remediation and/or removal of the areas your cleaning. I’ve also used bleach on floor joists & plywood, & you are correct that over use of bleach in these areas could cause problems. The cure could be worse then the cause. Each situation is considered by the remediation contractor & discussed with homeowner as to the pros & cons. Years ago I use to do suicide cleanup & bleach was still the best cleaner to use. Great discussing this subject with you! DOUG

Jeff P, Just to clarify, I hadn’t even taken notice of the “Decontamination” part of the quote by Miss Reynolds you pointed out. I was using the bold lettered “dead mold spore” issue to make a point. I probably shouldn’t have quoted the whole paragraph but I’m glad I did as the link you posted is pretty informative. BobW

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.