My training plan to start my business

Hi guys,

I posted this at the end of my previous post that got very long and so it kindof got lost. I am truly interested in your thoughts as you’ve all “been there done that”.

Want to start my business June time-frame and have been looking for the right training - there sure are a lot of options out there. After a discussion with Nick and some others and looking at the education pages of InterNACHI, it’s clear that there is a ton of stuff here! I’ve put together what I think is a comprehensive set of training to get started, then continue to take other classes to expand my knowledge once I’m up and running. The following list is basically everything listed on the CPI requirements page:

So, I would take:

Code of Ethics Course
Safe Practices for the Home Inspector course
25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know
Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors
How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections
How to Perform Roof Inspections
How to Inspect HVAC Systems
Structural Issues for Home Inspectors
How to Perform Exterior Inspections
How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior
How to Perform Deck Inspections
How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion
How to Inspect Fireplaces, Stoves, and Chimneys

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

By the way, question for Nick, while I have high speed internet, it is via satellite as we live past the local cable company lines. Therefore, watching streaming video uses a lot of data which we are limited on (the joys of satellite internet). Is there any possibility of getting any of the courses on DVD?

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Norm

It’s a good start but I wouldn’t stop there.

Start thinking about your marketing plan NOW

Report writing should also be on that list.

Take every one of NACHI’s training courses. Find a mentor and attend at least 50 inspections with him/her. Find a good accountant, or tax person, preferably an earned agent. Find a good attorney to set up your business as an S-corp or LLC. Have him/her review all of your documents. Buy some nice clothes, clean vehicle, laptop, report writing software. Drop off some brochures to RE offices that state inspections for $199 and you are a new inspector.

Your phone will ring off the hook.

Considering how much you complain about cheap inspectors, why the hell would you encourage someone to go that route?

Thanks everyone for your feedback, all good advice. As I said, the list of classes I posted is a starting point, many more to come in the future. Any other advice, please feel free to pass it along.

Thank you

Norm

Just sent You a Email Norm Let me know if you got it

Hi Russell, sorry, I have not received an email from you. Possibly the forum does not allow you to since I am not a member? You can send it direct: normstobert@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Norm

Take the required courses for any or all of the state or provincial licenses, they are listed on the left side of the inspector training page. Maybe Illinois or Wisconsin should cover what you need for MI