Mysterious pipe

Does anyone know what this pipe could have been used for? Thanks!

:grin: I have no idea.

How old is the house?

Emergency Outdoor Urinal

1 Like

Gutter downspout?

Simon, where’d you come up with that? :face_with_monocle: :sunglasses: :nerd_face:

Growing up on the streets, you learn to adapt :upside_down_face:

How many kids did you adopt?

The reason I spotted that so readily is because we are helping with some adoptions and one has to adapt to the whims of the judges, from time to time, in severing the bio parental rights. :smile:

One bloody letter! LOL

One teenager & a stray dog, but I had to return them, I was only 10 years old.

I know what you mean :frowning: Sort of like AHJs oh wait… they are.

PS: funny thing, I spell power adapter with an “a” Mind, I tell you, is a beautiful thing to waste! :smiley:

LOL…LOL…LOL :joy: :nerd_face:

We luv ya, Simon!

Pipes coming out of the ground cause me a huge concern. Although not the typical size used for underground oil tank breathers or fill pipes, I would strongly advise further inspection by a qualified company to make sure it is nothing to do with an underground oil/fuel tank.

Utmost caution!!!

Cheers

2 Likes

Smart Douglas, smart thinking. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for your responses and entertainment. I will advise the buyer to have further inspection by a qualified company, as suggested. What kind of company - an oil services company? Thanks!

Typically usually that type of pipe size is used to divert roof water below grade although being metal is perplexing.
Degrade roof water dispersal can be a bad practice due to the fact that large volumes roof water is being distributed close to the foundation.
Maintenance. Pipe clogs. Mechanical damage can all have adverse effects.

Ask for disclosure.

I would start with a plumber. It could just be an air inlet with a missing rain cap for building’s drain trap or a [now] meaningless pipe stuck in the ground, impossible to conclude anything based on posted pic & info alone. I’ve never seen anything like that related to an oil tank, however. Even if the plumber doesn’t service the related pipe, he should be able to figure out its purpose. If there are no other signs whatsoever, I would start with a simple light or camera lowered into the pipe and going from there.

Could it be a 4" well casing?

1 Like

Ground radar company.
Cheers

How much does that cost :smiley:

It may be venting air for a root cellar or such, also.

I think Simon is on by recommending a plumber to investigate it further but DO have it referred out.

Thank you everyone!

Depending on where you are in the country I have seen perimeter drains brought to the surface to connect to the gutter down spouts.
A review of the pipe to determine its purpose can be done with a sewer camera inspection.
Best luck.