N. American membership in InterNACHI approaches 12,000 inspectors!

Nick is a business man who is very good at marketing and he is doing what every business man does - make money.

The 10,000 cap was simply a marketing gimmick to get a surge in new inspector signups - although it was initiated 7 years ago, evidently it worked.

And his assurances that we could sell our membership on the market as the availability went down and the cap met?

Yes I have a long memory.

Interesting indeed.

Agreed!
We have many types of InterNachi inspectors. Some of them are a “one-man show” others have 2, 3 or even more employees.

What do they all have in common? A business plan!

It is more than obvious that Nick has had a “business plan” from day one. What was good for Nick and InterNachi in 2007, or 2010, 2012 might not be good for Nick and InterNachi 2014.

• Most successful companies do not have their business plan “etched in stone”.
  • The companies that do not “change with the times” are doomed for failure.

As we can see by the number of posts, number of threads, and increased membership that Nick’s business plan seems to be working and is head and shoulders above all others.

In Vietnam we used to say “adapt and overcome”. It seems that Nick/InterNachi are holding to a similar “business model”.:wink:

Way to go on Nick! Kudos to you, and to your staff!:nachi::nachi:

Frank,

This is not about a business plan…

Its about honesty.

I don’t care how many inspectors NACHI has.

I do care about integrity.

Hype is what it is.

I never read or heard about that one.

Although I have no reason to sell my NACHI membership, even for a profit, which one extra job a year from my NACHI marketing would pay for. And the way I market it gets me many more than one.

I often have people tell me they hired me because I’m NACHI & ASHI certified, where most inspectors only carry one or, as I see some in my area, don’t market both.

Mikey,
You know that I love you more than I love my old pair of combat boots. I like you and I consider you to be a friend. I do not want to get sucked into an argument and I certainly do not want to get into any “messageboard argument [s]” with you
with all due respect… I ask you to remember that this is on the “public section” and to act with restraint and decorum.

Mike,
You have over 51,000 posts on this message board. More than any other single person. In fact more than 5, 10, 15 or 20 people combined.

It is obvious even to them most “casual observer” that you; live, eat, and breathe, this message board! It is obvious that you spend the majority of your day here!

I would ask that you be a “positive influence” and not bring strife and/or sow dissension.

God bless you. I wish you peace in your life, and Peace in Your Heart.
:nachi::nachi:

I’m into reality Frank.

I also tell the truth.

Not into blowing smoke up someone’s backside.

My take on NACHI.

Take the good as there is plenty of it.

Put up with the hype and crap if you can.

I am a proud NACHI member but accept what it is.

Our home inspector membership numbers are fluctuating right around 10,000 for N. America.

Because so many governments have approved InterNACHI’s courses for pre-licensing lately, we have had many more student members join InterNACHI (they kind of come and go like stray dogs). We’ve essentially become the inspection industry’s largest school system. I don’t count student members in the 10,000 as they don’t do inspections yet and aren’t in the market competing with anyone. I don’t count vendor members either for the same reason.

Furthermore, in the past 7 years (since Joe Farsetta announced the cap in 2007), InterNACHI has drifted from being a home inspection association into being an inspector association (and why we use “InterNACHI” instead of our full corporate name which includes the phrase “home inspectors.” We now offer 32 separate inspector certifications (see new homepage www.nachi.org) and so we have members who only offer those particular ancillary services (mold inspectors making up the bulk of that subset). I don’t count those members either. Back then, I never anticipated that people would join InterNACHI to perform just mold inspections or insurance inspections or energy audits or Owens Corning warranty inspections, etc. The radon industry is now coming over to InterNACHI as well. With our recent state approvals, NRPP approval, and AARST approval of our pre-licensing and CE couses… it is actually now cheaper to be in the radon business (mostly because our approved radon courses are online) as a member of InterNACHI, than not. If such trends continue, in a few years we could have 25,000 members (of which only 10,000 are home inspectors). And if more states start licensing mold inspectors and other ancillary inspectors (like they did with radon inspectors)… 40,000+ members is not out of the question.

Furthermore, we can’t just tell someone they can’t join today (not permitted for many reasons). So I’m trying to keep the membership numbers (working home inspectors) at 10,000 +/- 10% (our membership numbers fluctuate daily) by other means. 10,000 is a round number, but I think it is the right number (I don’t want much less than 10,000 either).

Anyway, I have some membership control tools at my disposal: Price increases (which I’ve enacted twice), discount packages for vendors (which I’ve been stingy with), targeting of existing inspectors who are non-members (which I’ve varied) and the marketing of our financing options. It’s more of an art than a science.

You’re doing a good job Nick. Keep it up.