NACHI and the International Log Builders Association

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The Executive Director of the International Log Builder’s Association, Cathy Henson has joined NACHI and I have joined her association. We are exploring ways to provide NACHI members (via our website) with inspection advice regarding log homes.

Their website is www.logassociation.org

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Nick

Theres an inspection I wouldnt touch with a 10' log. Being from northern Michigan and a builder in that state, Im telling you it would take one hell of a good inspector to inspect those houses. Every log manufacturer has their own set of specs., and ideosencracies (spelling) the building inspectors nightmare. be vewy afwaid. ![eusa_naughty.gif](upload://nYl3dmRmAIH81yCdH9V96akYnNa.gif)

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I did several in VA and they never came back to bite me. Granted, I did leave the state in a hurry icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Blaine

It looks like all the log home inspectors end up in Florida, on the lam ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: loconnor

Edited 11-4-05

Larry

Western Michigan NACHI Chapter

http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: lkage

Larry

Please let me know when you complete the primer or checklist. I would like a copy.

I've built many log homes but there are many ways to build them.

Originally Posted By: lkage

Oh, and let me know if I can help with it.

Larry

When I get it typed up, I'll send you a draft for your review and comments.

Appreciate the offer.

Thanks

--
Larry

without boasting of it.
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: kshepard

Seeing a number of coped-log homes going in around here I began investigating qualification courses for inspecting log homes. There are none. Just a few courses for constructing them.

The International Log Builder's Assoc. (ILBA) web site lists 4 for all of North America and 2 are in Canada.

The ILBA does have Log and Chinking Standards but I believe they are concerned mostly with coped-log homes. The milled-log industry is another story and I believe manufacturers often have their own specs.

The International Code Commission (ICC) appears to be about to include something on log walls in the International Building Code. The ILBA says that the ICC is about to release an early draft for public comment. If this is the case it might indicate enough standardization for the Allen Ins. Co. to stop making us disclaim log walls and generate enough interest to have qualification courses mad available to us.

As far as being vewwy, vewwy afwaid... asbestos is found in about 3000 diffeerent products and materials, yet people find a way to make good money performing screenings. This they do by being vewwy vewwy careful about wording their contracts and in informing their clients about what they do and do't do.

I just finished writing an exam on the Log and Chinking Standards for the ILBA and have been talking on the subject of qualifications with Robert Savignac, Executive Director. Anyone wanting to ecourage them to create a qualifying course can e-mail Robert at robert@logassiciation.com.

Anyone who's made headway in this area, I'd like to talk with you. Is there now a checklist available that anyone would like to share?

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

They list NACHI as a member http://www.logassociation.org/directory/associations.php

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jeubank

Any new developments for log home inspections? I’d like to see at least a simple checklist. I’ll be looking at a log home tomorrow, and I need to decide whether to make some basic comments on the log construction, or just to exclude the logs altogether. Suggestions?

Inspected once, inspected right throughout southern Colorado

www.eubankinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

James,

Member Kent Shepard and I met for lunch a couple times and among other things discussed creating such an S.O.P. Perhaps you can give him a call and we can work together on it.

Here is a pic of he and I playing around with a Resistograph: http://www.nachi.org/resistograph.htm

and a discussion:

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/viewtopic.php?t=13135&highlight=resistograph

Perhaps you can form a committee to work on this. Count me in on it please. You, Kent and I are all in Colorado.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jeubank

After posting this request, I also received an e-mail from Larry O’Connor. He attached his “Log Home Inspections Primer,” which was very helpful. It covered the basics, without too much of the technical jargon. Info that was well within the scope of a general inspection. Just what I needed for today’s inspection.

I saw the resistograph in action at the recent Colorado NACHI meeting. Fun, but way too expensive.

I'd be glad to work on SOP for log homes, but I wonder if we already have what we need, with Larry O'Connor's "Log Home Inspections Primer"? It certainly seems to cover anything a general inspection would need to include. If you haven't yet seen it, then Larry or I could e-mail a copy.

--
Inspected once, inspected right throughout southern Colorado

www.eubankinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lewens

James

Why don’t you just post it for all of us and share the info? We can never have too much info on inspecting.

Thanks in advance

Larry

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

Larry

The information I sent James is in word format, and a few pages long. If you want a copy of it, I prefer you email me so I can send it as an attachment.
I thought I sent you one already, but feel free to ask for another copy. It's free.

--
Larry

without boasting of it.
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: cnordby

I love log homes. I heard they crack and settle and then the windows and doors no longer work well. But that is probably true of any home. Log homes look so cool. I want one.

SafeHOME

Seattle, WA.

www.signsbycheryl.freeservers.com

Cheryl

Hand crafted log homes are engineered so that while the logs are shrinking and settling, floating room is left above the windows, doors, and interior partition walls to allow for the movement. After about 5-7 years when most of the settling is minimized, there is usually no problem with windows and doors opening and closing. The cracking you refer to is called checking and usually occurs during the drying of the logs.

Milled log homes already have most of the moisture content minimized due to the milling of the logs (size) and the kiln drying process. So the settling is usually no more than an inch movement. However, most log manufacturers air dry their logs to assist in the settling and shrinking process.

--
Larry

without boasting of it.
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

loghome.pdf )

Many thanks for all your workon this Larry

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: cnordby

Larry…thanks much for the log home info!

SafeHOME

Seattle, WA.

www.signsbycheryl.freeservers.com

Great Job Gerry!

Thank you for doing that. It makes it much easier for everyone to have access to it.

Thanks again.

--
Larry

without boasting of it.
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson