NACHI member offers camera system for SpectoScope.

Originally Posted By: bhendry
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I fiddled with the previous picture. Looks better?

I complete and print reports at the inspection, so I definitely won’t be adjusting the pictures at the inspection.

I’ll also try saving the pictures in .bmp format at the highest resolution (that would be fiddling with the Pocket PC).

Regards,

Bill
![](upload://iZNCpwwdc3CKmYUJrN2m7DaLulS.jpeg)

…just outside fiddling with my SpectoScope. Here’s a picture that started out as a 901kB .bmp. I converted it to a 39k .jpg so it loads quick. No other changes. As you might imagine, the original has more detail - but not a heck of a lot more.

Then, I changed the Pocket PC to the highest resolution .jpg mode and took the same picture. The original was something like 110kB and it "squished" down to 44kB.

I think the file that started out in .bmp format wins.

Regards,

Bill

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

William,

I am going to try and put a system together. What connectors do you use? My digital video uses a quasi firewire/usb. What cable lengths are available for these connections? Also, how much is the spectoscope?

Any advice would be helpful to me.

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

Hi Alan,

I use a wireless camera. The camera receiver connects to a Compact PC with a video cable (RCA plugs).

The USB spec limits cable length to 5 meters. There are systems out there for extending the length - but the question is - do you want a 35ft or so length of cable to deal with? There must be a wireless USB cable out there (if not lets invent one!).

We paid $200 for our SpectoScope and ordered it from NACHI.

General advice: Keep the weight at the end of the SpectoScope at an absolute minimum.

Regards,

Bill

Originally Posted By: dleech

I have added shrink wrap tubing to the first section just incase I get too close to a hot wire.

I fly model airplanes, so I mounted a digitial camera on the top of the scope and activate it with a radio controled servo motor. However, I have to wait to see what pictures I have taken and then share them with my client.

David Leech
Toronto

Thank both of you for the information. I think I will go wireless. Down here thirty feet is normally all I will need so the “bluetooth” limitation is OK. Does the spectoscope come with a shoulder harness? I am going to need one if I need to operate the pocket PC! Where do I order a spectoscope? Chris?

Alan Fernbaugh

Baton Rouge, La.

David,

That's a neat idea to use an RC servo to press the camera button. You can sure get high quality pictures that way.

Alan,

NACHI sells the SpectoScope, call (610) 933-4241.

Be cautious of crushing the tube where you attach a harness. With just a moderate weight at the end of that long pole - you can get some hefty torque/force. Better to not concentrate the force on a small area of the tube.

I don't use a harness, though I looked into one. I also thought of a handle - like from a weed whacker - but I don't think I need either one.

I set the pole on the ground and hold it vertically - or lean it on the house. You can sort of grab the pole under an arm and hold it against yourself to use both hands on a PDA.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I just order a Spectoscope and I hope to have it in 10 days or so. I also ordered the “Bluetooth” version of the Concord Eye-Q go wirelless camera which is directly compatible with many hand held PDA’a or pocket pc’s with bluetooth capability. This should be fun!

Regards to all,

Alan Fernbaugh

Baton Rouge, La.

I currently just wedge my SpectoScope into the “InspectorMobile”. It’s left of the ladder and above the broom. The blue marbled thing is the foot/bumper from a dog toy (works perfect).

![](upload://h3RQ247BC4mJYBflMJHzizCU2hz.jpeg)

Here's the collapsed size. I currently wrap the business end in a towel and hold the towel on with an old Crown Royal bag (that's why I saved it!).

![](upload://qRfAMM0kKlSvZUglSDaauv9ZXcd.jpeg)

Here it is with all sections pulled out.

Regards,

Bill

Bill you have been very helpful. Where is Clarmont? We own a place in Destin(panhandle)…are we close at all?

Regards,

Alan Fernbaugh

Baton Rouge, La.

Hi Alan,

We like Destin too. Clermont is about 400 miles from there by road - not exactly neighbors - but it's a small world you know.

Let me know how the Bluetooth interface goes.

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

Originally Posted By: John Stone

What exactly is the Spectoscope? Is it just the pole and I have to provide the camera and PDA, etc., or is there more to it. Sounds like a great idea, just not clear about what you get for your money.

Hi John,

The SpectoScope is the pole assembly that NACHI can provide.

I believe it is $200 with shipping. Call (610) 933-4241.

Here's my description.

Five section telescoping pole. I measured the smallest end section at 6ft 4.5in. The largest tube is about 5ft 10in. Figure on 30ft total.

I would guess the tubes are aluminum - not sure about the grade or temper - but it looks to be high quality. 60xx-T6???

The tubes appear to be coated; an ohmeter shows infinite when the probes are pushed onto the outside of the tube, but will read on the insides.

The sections are crimped (right term?) so that they do not pull apart when fully extended.

Each section has a clamp that is affixed to the larger pipe below. A spring loaded wing nut knob is used to loosen the smaller section so that it can be extended. The wing nut knob is used to clamp the smaller section in position. A2-70 stainless hardware is used

A camera mount with a ball joint clamp assembly is included for the small end.

Using my bath scale, I weighted 6.5LB more when holding the SpectoScope.

I hope this helps,

Bill

I used the SpectoScope today. Three gable ends on the front elevation with a hip roof section thrown in there. Looks good from the ground with binos. Peek around with SpectoScope - oh - what’s this between the garage and the entry? Similar installation other side of entry (different slopes there, smaller section). I call this out when there are shingles installed on the low slope.

The picture could be better, I used a different rechargeable 9v battery today. Still too much current and operating in infrared mode. Also, the pictures were in .jpg format - I thought I changed it to the best .bmp mode. Oh well. This picture was cropped and smushed to allow it to load quick. The camera is probably 25ft from the area of interest.

Regards,

Bill

…working on a new idea for the SpectoScope.

How about a battery powered video monitor? MUCH bigger screen than a Compact PC. Use your digital camera to take a picture of the screen. No need for a Pocket PC. Here's an idea of what it could look like (resized to 21% of original). I'm also going to try a length of video cable between the camera and the monitor - in an attempt to eliminate the wireless stuff (transmitter, receiver, interference, batteries, etc).

![](upload://5I35VKlOuGKHo5diJ9wV5Ygp73z.jpeg)

Aha! Another one of those low slope rolled roof transition type jobbies. Thank you Mr. SpectoScope!

![](upload://eJpRXZvhPWtHUrV4Xg25D2mrmTV.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: kweiss

Scope seems like a great idea. Will have to look into a setup at some point.

As sort of a sidebar question, what exactly do you call out on those flat roof transitions? I understand the slope is too flat for the shingles, but what is the course of action you suggest to your client? (As rebuilding the roof isnt really an option.)

Hi Kevin,

Too busy here to dabble with new SpectoScope camera features. I looked at cameras a bit after seeing a digital camera with a video output on a "Pimp my Ride" show (of all things).

All the houses with the rolled roofing material in this thread were "new" and the roofers did a decent installation job. I advise the client that the material often has a shorter life than the rest of the roof and ask them to factor that into future maintenance.

The last 12 y/o or so house I looked at with this detail needed roof repair/maintenance. I recommended a qualified licensed roofer evaluate.

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

SpectoScope to the rescue again. Old 2 story house with 2nd story Shed roof addition in rear. Real fine patchwork here. Not sure what the cement blocks in the bottom right corner were for - hold down a tarp maybe? (pix reduced from 900k to 35k)

![](upload://tk5hNeHASn6hpvlx5kjzalxR3aY.jpeg)

Regards,

Bill

I used my SpectoScope on a 2 story tile roof job today. The entire neighborhood had these roofs. Nice area and interesting house on a golf course - we like those…

![](upload://6emnjxka3FACh3Ku442eCxjf2UD.jpeg)