NACHI member offers camera system for SpectoScope.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

To order or for more information visit http://www.nachi.org/spectoscope.htm

Nick

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Thanks for the post Nick!

![](upload://wtJziGx2LCNeSWgj4Plf5bgLSAq.jpeg)

Here's a view of a 2nd story tile roof that I took recently with the SpectoScope. I would not have seen the loose tile without it. This gable end extends over the front entryway and we mentioned to our client that it would not be pleasant to have this tile fall on him or a guest.

There are facilities for fiddling with the color/brightness/hue/contrast at the Compact PC (source) that I haven't bothered with yet. I did crop this image and "shrink" the file size (a lot) for this post though.

Doug at Quality Control Home Inspections in Savannah, GA is keenly interested in the infrared aspect of the camera system for crawls (me too).

Regards,

Bill

I took a picture of my Pocket PC taking a picture (or something like that) of a NACHI binder.

![](upload://1Ebn4XJ9RM7qE93qrWL6ZSL2P22.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: rpierson

Great Stuff Guys!

You can hook it up to any video sorce right?

Hi Randy,

You can hook just about anything to the NACHI SpectoScope (the lighter the better).

My system accepts NTSC video from any video source at a Pocket PC. I am currently using a waterproof wireless color camera with an infrared feature for low light (dark) areas.

I hope this answers your question.

Bill

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Bill:

I'm going to build a shorter version. 6 sections of 4 foot each so that it will collapse to 4 foot. This way I can take it on the planes to Chapter meetings. I'll send it to you to rig up for me. After you rig it for me, I'll have custom equipment case company build us a hard travel case for it. We'll put it out on loan to Chapter heads.

Nick

Hi Nick,

The 4ft SpectoScope is a good option; easier to fit inside vehicles, use in attics, etc.

We're working on something with wheels to help negotiate crawlspaces.

I'll be happy to put a camera system together for you.

Regards,

Bill

Here's a tip for SpectoScope users: We used a large Kong dog toy as a bumper/foot. That may sound funny but the Kong dog toy is made of puncture resistant natural rubber - good tough stuff.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

With all these great inventions and ideas being developed, it’s getting to sound more like NACHI Industries.

Bill,

Do you have that device patent protected?![](upload://mEnH9lmQ1EPI7ACfk4IowNWM1yK.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Hi David,

Don Lancaster wrote (way back in 1990) "...any involvement whatsoever with the patent system in any way, shape, or form, is virtually guaranteed to cause you a monumental long term loss of time, money, and sanity". Don is at http://www.tinaja.com/

To me, the best possible thing has already happened; the info is posted on the NACHI web site and this board. It's out there in the public domain with a date time stamp - I'm as covered as I need to be (thanks Nick).

I wish I had thought of the SpectoScope - it is just too good of a tool to ignore.

Regards,

Bill

Another inspection today with a tile roof. SpectoScope to the rescue.

![](upload://fKmmHUeXrJ02stxCZYnjbc75P0Z.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: ebeahm1

Nick,

Is this something I should be considering? Please let me know.

Earl

Here’s an idea of what the camera system does in the infrared mode. If you light up the scene enough with a flashlight, the camera goes into a normal color mode. I compressed the .jpg file to about 40% of original size so it loads faster - some resolution is lost.

![](upload://UpmzESiOBBtQHMsytI79IAWxud.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: afernbaugh

I am very interested in this. I know that an Ipaq 5555 with Bluetooth capability can be used with a Concord Eye-Q Go Wireless camera. Is this what you are using? Let me know what the Spect-o-scope alone is in the 4’ version.

Regards and what a great idea,

Alan Fernbaugh

Five Star Inspection Services

Baton Rouge, La.

Hi Alan,

I googled up the camera you mentioned (it is not the one I am using). Couple of issues: 30ft bluetooth range on the edge for the SpectoScope. Camera is in review mode to transmit the image to the PDA; not much you could do with the SpectoScope other than take a "movie" with the camera.

I had a Concorde camera as a back-up until the bastages stole it from my InspectorMobile. It worked fine.

My system uses a video camera. I would rather use a higher resolution digital system - but I have not found one yet.

Your iPAQ 5555 looks like a nice unit (now I have PDA envy). I'm using an iPAQ 3630 for my HI reports and the SpectoScope camera system.

Gotta go, 5:30PM inspection...

Regards,

Bill

Originally Posted By: dcampbell

I have a Dell Axim Is there any way to fit this to work with it.

Hi Dave,

...back from a WDO inspection...

Here's my secret: The FlyGrabber-CF. It took me months to stumble across this jewel. It accepts video and generates the display at the Pocket PC. For whatever reason, it is made with a Type I CompactFlash (CF) plug.

The Dell Axim - looks like a good unit and as best I can tell - accepts a Type II CF card. The expansion pack for my iPAQ 3630 also has a Type II CF. You can get an adapter (which is what I did) to convert the Type I FlyGrabber.

I can put custom kits together for anyone that wants one to be able to use the SpectoScope. I will also help any NACHI member that wants to design some unique system (time permitting and if I can understand the problem).

The thing is this: If you can use the SpectoScope to avoid climbing onto the roof, then the risk of falling off the roof - or stepping through the roof - or damaging the roof - diminishes, oh, a lot. Or how about the roofs that you know you definitely should not get on (or can't get on), but would really like to look at that chimney flashing (fill in the blank) closer than with binoculars. The SpectoScope is a good tool.

Regards,

Bill

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Bill:

For crawlspaces, we could run the end of the Spectosope through a loose hole bracket on the end of a surveyor's wheel axle (Spectoscope and axle being perpendicular) so that the very end of the Spectoscope and camera stick out past the wheel. The bracket could be just a round hole a little larger in diameter than the Spectoscope's final section, so that the Spectoscope is loose fitting and therefore could be spun from the other end (grip end) to turn the camera. Two clamps on the Spectoscope on both sides of the bracket could act as stoppers so the wheel doesn't travel up and down the scope.

Here's a wheel: http://www.survsys.co.uk/equipment/sales_detail.asp?product_id=47

Nick

Hi Nick,

Yes - that could work. The surveyors wheel will undoubtedly be high quality. I'll look into that.

We are working on a two wheel system based on a push/pull golf bag caddy. I can't visualize yet how to make it go sideways when the wheels/camera is 25ft away. Pivot between the wheels? One wheel may be easier to turn to move everything sideways.

We're thinking of a 3ft or so piece of loosely fitted PVC or conduit to slip the SpectoScope into. The pipe length would distribute forces at the SpectoScope tube. Maybe a pipe cut in half and some straps - just lay the SpectoScope into the cut pipe, lay the other half of the pipe on top and buckle it up.

We'll need some sort of quick release clamps/stoppers at either end of the pipe - like you mentioned - or maybe drill a couple of holes for pins.

A flashlight mount on the pipe might be useful.

With a big grin - I asked a lady Realtor at an inspection the other day if she would like to see my SpectoScope - she blushed.

Regards,

Bill

Used the SpectoScope again today. Architectural shingles for a change. Found a few shiners, fishmouths and a gutter holding water. Here’s the gutter. Oh, BTW, I did not climb onto the roof.

A couple of things I learned: A powerful battery pack keeps the camera in the infrared mode even in bright light and distorts the color. The extra weight of the battery pack also helps the SpectoScope wobble/oscillate. A rechargeable 9v battery is the key for this camera when used in bright light. I would like a way to have the PDA in-front of me hands free. Maybe some kind of harmonica holder thingy could be adapted - any ideas? Actually, I’d really like to have a screen the size of a laptop in front of me - hands free - without the weight of a lap top on my neck. Are there battery powered flat screen monitors? hmmmm…

Regards,

Bill

I was looking into higher resolution cameras this morning. My camera has 380 horizontal lines and a pixel area of 510x492. I can find 470 line wireless cameras, but the cost goes WAY up. I’m going to keep looking for a reasonably priced 470 line camera.

Here's a picture of a broken tile on the 2nd story roof I took Sunday. Good enough? Notice the camera is not in infrared mode like yesterdays inspection.

![](upload://6BZAhcFWd0uEmqNxCmOjZckwLNi.jpeg)

Regards,

Bill