NACHI to toughen requirements for 2004.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

Great, now all we need to do is verify that the person taking the exam online is the actual person who signs up. Nothing there to stop someone from taking the exam for another person… we discussed this awhile back but nothing ever came of it.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We use affidavits.

Its a lot like all of our other requirements: We can't be sure our members are actually paying attention in continuing educaion, or abiding by the code of ethics, or following a standards of practice, or paying their E&O premiums, or checking the furnace filter, etc...

Nick

PS Our exams (like some national code exams) are open book.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

The Farsetta man strikes again. This is why I love you Joe. Beautiful.

Kill "some" in the last sentence with "strives" in it.

Nick

I’m going to print the full-page release in every REALTOR magazine/newspaper.

Nick

PS Joe H.: If you want the quote instead of me we can use you. You decide either way.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Done, Big Nick.

Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Also, I rewrote the first paragraph and edited initial thread post. It reads better.

"...that tests its applicants."

Nick

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all

I am in complete agreement with the release, any and all things wecan do to show NACHI members are more professional than those of other orgs should be done.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: evandeven

The ethics exam, like NACH’s existing Inspector Examination, will be available to the entire industry, administered and graded online, and free.

Before you release this, you might want to get the right organization name!

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

Trying to enforce ethics on an association level is difficult. Most of the states that have meaningful home inspector licensing or regulation have state enforceable ethics. The state has the authority to enforce ethics violations.

Those states that are using the NHIE are protecting the consumer more. It takes knowledge of the home inspection profession and the ability to recall that knowledge to pass the NHIE. The level of consumer protection is in direct correlation to the license law in the state and the enforceability of the law in the state, not the regulations of a private association.

It is great that NACHI will now be requiring this new test and increasing the requirements. It would be even better if a time limit was placed on the NACHI test. A one or two hour time limit would help to show that the person taking the test has some learned knowledge and is not just looking up the answers in a book.

Another point to ponder and it was brought up by Jeff, is the validation of the NACHI test to make sure that the person taking the test is the same person who will be credited with passing it.

Originally Posted By: jremas

The Scotty must be Scotty P. from down south. Right? The only person who would bring up the NHIE. Thanks for agreeing with my validation point, a sore spot with me from the beginning.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Scotty, the NACHI exam has a 60 minute time limit already. You have to answer 120 questions in that time. http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm

Jeff, we could require proctoring. The NHIE is proctored nationally by a company headquartered only a few miles from me. This company charges $40 to administer, I don't know what EBPHI tacks on to that, but the EBPHI is actually a for-profit company. We also could do what a couple other trade associations, like veterinarians do, and require a second signature on the affidavit attesting that the online exam was taken without assistance. However like we said before, it doesn't mean you abide by the code of ethics, it only means you read it.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Scotty,

Just to your point of what a great test of knowledge the NHIE is, I had to take the exam for my COUNTY license, and I didn't find it difficult at all. All a test does is measure knowledge. If you know what you are doing, you should pass the test.

Nick,

The EBPHI must tack on a bunch. I paid $195 to take the test. What a deal.

Blaine

Originally Posted By: Scotty Lee

I forgot about the 60 second time limit, how about limiting the time to one session and not multiple sessions.

As for the NHIE being a hard exam; well that depends on the knowledge of the individual taking it. If you know the profession and study you will pass.

I have no idea how much EBPHI gets from the exam, a good part of the fee goes to the testing service I am sure.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Ethics exam? Great idea Nick!

As Igor stated, Not many of us have ever read the code of ethics. I, too am going to study up on these. http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm

When the test is online, I'm ready. ![](upload://dT7PXS8lZhpuVS6c8qAaMebqRVH.gif)

I like the fact that NACHI members will be credited for being more educated than the average Home Inspector. This qualification will really open the eyes of many prospects that are seeking for the "best" Home Inspector on the market.

NACHI...always improving.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_exclaim.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Although our new ethics exam is an actual graded exam, its real purpose is to assure us that NACHI members actually read and understand it. http://www.nachi.org/code_of_ethics.htm I admit I haven’t read it in a while.

Also it removes the "ignorance" defense should a violation arise.

Nick